Riding or Fishing

... and if we just ... My Zed 2.0 SE..New Upgrade Pics!

Well, it's been a little slow over here in the K2 forum, so I thought I'd post some pictures of a few of the upgrades I've done. There is still a lot to be done, but I'm extremely happy so far.

Just after I joined the forums, I posted up this picture of my stock Zed:

Nothing special, but it was enough to get the biking bug. Now, I haven't done any major upgrades as of yet, but here's a couple pictures to get you to were it stands now.

Not long after I bought it, I realized just how much riding knobbies on the road sucked. After some research, and some great advice from you guys, I picked up a set of Kenda Small Block 8's, in 2.1. Gotta admit, I love em, on, and OFF road. As you can see, I took them offroading this past weekend, and they held their ground quite well in the muddy conditions.

A couple weeks ago, I also added some new A2Z Skewers;

Front.

And rear. They work and look great, without costing the arm and leg that Salsa's do up here.

Around the same time, I also added some Cat Cage bottle cages. I do own a Camelbak, but sometimes, especially when it's really hot, I'd rather not have to bring my pack, so I use bottles.

They work great for me. You can mount them on their sides, for easier access on smaller frames.

Now today, I met up with someone from Craigslist. I picked up a used Titec Hellbent XC riser bar, along with a Race Face Prodigy stem to match for $30. Seemed to me like a great deal that I just couldn't pass up. Here they are installed. Just need some dryer weather to get the bar adjusted to where I like them. You can also see my Ergon GX1 grips I bought a while ago. I absolutely love them. No more numb hands!

So, thats it...so far. After X-Mas, I will be throwing on some 160mm Avid BB7's front and rear, a pair of Avid Speed Dial 7's for levers, as well as a totally new crank set. Right now I'm looking at a Shimano Deore XT. I'm also working on saving up for a new Fox Vanilla RLC fork. With those upgrades, it'll be almost a totally new machine.
    Any other suggestions for upgrades? The way the Canadian dollar is right now, buying from the US is the way to go!
    Thanks!

Expert Crasher
    Looks great.

If you shift a lot, a good set of SRAM X-7 shifters and a SRAM X-9 rear derailleur would be nice.

Fox forks = very supple. You'll like it.
    Happiness depends more on the inward disposition of mind than on outward circumstances. Benjamin Franklin

Riding or Fishing
    I agree that a new set of shifters and derailleur would be nice, but the problem is that I only have an 8 speed cassette. Don't know how comfortable I would be running 9 speed shifters on an 8 speed bike.

**edit**
    Just found this http://www.bikesmart.com/index.cfm?m....99&StartRow=1
    That would work quite well, wouldn't it?
    Last edited by musky; 11-13-2007 at 01:21 AM.

mtbr member
    musky,
    u may have noticed by now, that u might want to head to the drivetrain forum for this one!

my thought is that if your 8-sp matches your terrain and the components work well, stick with them. no sense "upgrading" if you don't need 'em, in my humble opinion. when your cassette and chain wear out, that's a good time to think about upgrading to 27-sp, if you really want to.
    Hi!
    Style: XC, Mid-Atlantic roots, rocks, & poison ivy
    Rides: '06 K2 Apache 6.0, '01 K2 Razorback Team

Riding or Fishing
    Hey!
    Thanks, I do plan on keeping with 8 spd for now at least.
    I did a lot of hunting for some X-7 spd shifters, and just plain can't seem to find them at a decent price. Bikesmart.com has some silly rules about accepting Canadian credit cards, so I won't be ordering from there.
    I am sort of still hunting for a crankset. I think I have decided, but I'm still learning about the pros and cons of different sets, so I'll be waiting till after Christmas.

Expert Crasher
    I don't think you could go wrong with the XT crankset. Simple, durable, light - good recipe.
    Happiness depends more on the inward disposition of mind than on outward circumstances. Benjamin Franklin

Riding or Fishing
    I think I'm either going to go with the Deore XT, but I still haven't ruled out Race Face.
    It's going to be like a whole new bike!

Expert Crasher
    RF is nice but I have issues with their crank bolt and how they get torqued down. XT doesn't have that issue.

mbtr member
    i wouldn't worry about the crank for now, the drivetrain they stick on the lower end bikes like that doesn't tend to last more than a year of regular use anyway. Biggest thing, since it looks like you're planning on replacing the whole bike part by part anyway, is the fork. those dart 1's SUCK. No damper at all, its a pogo stick. Fox makes good stuff, but there are less expensive options that perform just as well. just avoid 'fluid flow' or non motion control forks.

before you unload the brakes, try playing with the adjustments. Those levers default position is a long ass way from the bar, the black screw above the K in tektro will move them inward, and keeping the pads close to the rotor will feel a lot better. Avid makes a kit with steel tubes for the cable to go through that really helps cable disks a lot as well. Runs like 40$ and can be transferred to a bb7s if you wish.