mtbr member
    Jun 2007

Lithium 4.0 with MC 3.1 rear shock question

I just got a Lithium 4.0 from Randall Scott (what a great deal!). When it arrived, the rear shock (RS MC3.1) was upside down. I noticed it's that way in the photo of rscycle.com as well. It's kind of a pain to get to the adjustments this way. Does it seem correct upside down? Will it perform differently if I take it off and put it on right side up?

Thanks for your help

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Peruvian
    I just got a Lithium 4.0 from Randall Scott (what a great deal!). When it arrived, the rear shock (RS MC3.1) was upside down. I noticed it's that way in the photo of rscycle.com as well. It's kind of a pain to get to the adjustments this way. Does it seem correct upside down? Will it perform differently if I take it off and put it on right side up?

Thanks for your help
    welcome to k2 forum and congraturation on new lithium 4.0.
    I really like orange color on 4.0
    I have lithium 3.0 and my rear suspention is also upside down position.
    I think greenlightgo reverse his rear suspension. you should PM to greenlightgo.
    Post some pictures of your bike

Expert Crasher
    Welcome to the K2 brand of bikes - enjoy the Lithium, it's a great ride.

Check out my thread here Modified Lithium suspension linkage. I have a MC 3.3 on mine so I need to run it right side up so I can reach the lever.

I think the main reason it's upside down is so the 4" bolt hole doesn't contact the top of the shock (while in the 5" setting) during a bottom out situation. It's probably best to leave it that way, just get familiar with the rebound and floodgate settings.

FWIW - I run about 115 PSI, 7 turns off max for the floodgate and 9 turns from max on rebound (that's about half way). Weight is 215-220lbs all geared up.

I've spent a good fist full of dollars on my Lithium, most of the pics are posted in the 'Form and Function" thread.

Welcome!
    Happiness depends more on the inward disposition of mind than on outward circumstances. Benjamin Franklin

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Thanks for the feedback. Sounds like I'll keep it as is. I'm 185lbs and currently have about 100lbs in the shock. I'm not sure how many turns I've got on the floodgate or rebound but it 'squishes' the right amount when I sit down (25%) and feels fluid when I ride.

Expert Crasher
    If you are happy with sag, than all you need to do is tune the rebound.

Easy way to do that is to find a nice flat piece of ground and ride slow/moderate pace, stand up on the pedals (both parallel to the ground) and "hop" on the pedals to compress the rear suspension while watching it. Rebound is just about right when it makes the compression stroke and returns to ride height with no additional bouncing. If it bounces, too much rebound. If it's slow to return, too little rebound. From there, it's personnal preference. I checked my setting tonight, I'm 8 turns off max, I think there's 19 turns total so I'm not quite in the middle.

As far as the floodgate setting, I think there is 23 or so clicks on that. I'd start at full negative and add a few clicks until you balance semi-control of pedal bob with small bump compliance. The advantage to the MC 3.3 is the three position switch. I ride mine in the full open position 85-90% of the time, only use the floodgate lever (which the 3.1 doesn't have) to grunt out some hill climbs.

Enjoy that Lithium - tweak as you go, but go have fun.
    Happiness depends more on the inward disposition of mind than on outward circumstances. Benjamin Franklin