Jamin, Applesause, No?

New question here. k2 Zed 3.29 geometry?

Does anyone know the TT length on the new K2 zed 3.29 size small?
    I can not find it on the K2 website and non of the sites selling the bike have that information.

Jamin, Applesause, No?
    So nashbar had a 20% off coupon today and I was able to snag a small for $280. I will check its measurement when it arrives and if I remember to I will post back on here.

Jamin, Applesause, No?
    SO the TT looks to be about 22" on a small. and the HTA looks steep at 72 73 degrees.
    Definatly not a downhill flyer. At the price though it was a good deal, as I can take the savings and put on some better brakes and tires.

Jamin, Applesause, No?
    The geometry on this bike fits my wife perfect. She said she felt comfortable from her first ride. I have not adjusted anythign else yet. She is about 5.5. Her other bike is a lot nice though and I have been adjusting that thing for forever and it still just does not feel right to her.

The K2 is beastly heavy though. Not a bad deal as this is a Rail trail/ take the kids, bike for her. Her other mountain bike is about 10lbs lighter then this. I am thinking different wheels, Brakes, Shock and Crank will drop enough weight to get it more comfortable on the climbs. Most of the parts will come via trickle down from our other bikes as we upgrade to 2x10s.

This would be a good entry level bike for anyone thinking about getting into Mountain biking. Although I would not get it if it were for someone over 180lbs. The fork stanchions are small, the handlebars and stem are weak and the brakes are poor. For a larger rider I would recomend the Diamondback Oerdrive Sport/Comp which is aout $150 more, has Hydro disk brakes, bigger stanchion fork, and 31.8mm handlebars and stem.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    How did you score the 20% Nashbar coupon? I would buy that bike for $280.

Jamin, Applesause, No?
    nashbar has a 20% off coupon every month for about 2 days. They also have 15% and Free shipping codes that pop up more often. Wait for the 20% off though as you will save the most money. Get on there email list and you will know when the codes are happening.

S-WorksLewis
    does this bike come with a Funn crank? or is that just on the bike for show?

Jamin, Applesause, No?
    Quote Originally Posted by S-WorksLewis View Post
    does this bike come with a Funn crank? or is that just on the bike for show?
    It sure does. Eveything on the bike looks great too, although I wish the spokes and hubs were white like they are on my overdrive.

Being that it is my wifes bike I do not ride it on the trails. But I do ride it around my yard and street when I am working on it to test out how things are before she rides it. On paper the head angle looks too steep but riding around I really like its snappyness. I guess with the bigger wheels its not as bad as it would be on a 26er. It feels like you could go much faster on tight twisty trails then you could on my 29er.

Another update is that my wife really like the geometry of the small... she is just under 5.5 and likes its feel better then her xs 26er trail bike. Only down side is that it is so darn heavy. I am guessing somewhere in the 32lb+ side.

DT1
    mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Hey..I'm considering this bike but because I'm all the way in Barbados I don't wanna order a dud. I used to ride back In 93, stopped for a long time, trying to start back slowly. I'm 38, 165 pounds 5'11 and interested in this 29er thing. I plan on changing components over time perhaps change the crank and peddles to clips.. Do you recommend this bike? Looking at a large from nashbar.

Jamin, Applesause, No?
    Quote Originally Posted by DT1 View Post
    Hey..I'm considering this bike but because I'm all the way in Barbados I don't wanna order a dud. I used to ride back In 93, stopped for a long time, trying to start back slowly. I'm 38, 165 pounds 5'11 and interested in this 29er thing. I plan on changing components over time perhaps change the crank and peddles to clips.. Do you recommend this bike? Looking at a large from nashbar.
    Yes for the price it is a nice Cross Country bike and I recomend it for that purpose.

I would not recommend it if you are looking for more of an all mountain bike though. I could see it working really nicely on a flowy well maintained single track. If you are going through alot of rock gardens and over knarly roots and down long steep decents, then I would look for something with a slacker head angle ,grippier tires, and a bigger stachioned fork. I ended up putting a bigger grippier tire on the front right away. but the nano rapter in the back is great.

I also really like that it has sram components for the shifting which I find to be much crisper then shimano.

DT1
    mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Thanks a lot. This really helps. Not getting too rough just yet. Prob start on the road for a month before I hit the track and plan on taking it easy for now.

Jamin, Applesause, No?
    Nashbar has their 20% off again today which would put it below $300.

mtbr member
    Hey strongbad, can you post the standover height on the small? In theory, I should be on a medium but I have short legs for my height. I have a 30 inch standover and am very interested in this bike. On a tight budget.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Senor StrongBad View Post
    This would be a good entry level bike for anyone thinking about getting into Mountain biking. Although I would not get it if it were for someone over 180lbs. The fork stanchions are small, the handlebars and stem are weak and the brakes are poor. .
    I agree with the good entry level comment but have to disagree a little on the rider more than 180 on it, and I say that without ever having ridden on one or even seen one in person. The reason that I would disagree is that its specked a bit better than the Zed 3.2 (26 inch wheels) and though I have worn some of the components on the 3.2 none of the things that you mention as weak points have failed on my bike. The 3.2 has the Suntour xct V2 fork and the stem looks identical to the one on the 3.29, can't see the bars on the 3.29 but if they are the same as on the 3.2 they are steel and not going anywhere. Braking on the 3.2 is done with Tektro IOX mechanical disc (similar enough to the 3.29 I think) and I have never had an issue with them, they stop good and never need adjustment of any kind, do they work like hydraulics? nope but they do stop reliably.

I generally ride rail trails (18-25 miles at a time) hopping off trail as often as I can find little hills or paths to do a little more than the rail trail, for the record I have never been below 300 pounds since buying the bike back in 2009 and have been as high as 360 pounds, I have at least 2000 miles on that bike in that time. of course, I have upgraded things along the way but none of the things that you mentioned as potential weak points for someone over 180 so I thought I would reply and of course none of this may apply anyways as its a different bike all together but I think they are similar enough to make the comparison, the 3.29 actually has a couple places where components are better than on the stock 3.2.

with all of that said... I would love to see some pictures of your wifes bike nothing on the net seems to be "real images" they are mostly stock images.
    My blog! Two wheels and a fat guy Check it out and watch a fat guy use biking as a weight loss tool.