mtbr member
    Jul 2004

K2 Razorback SL Rear Shock "Noolen or Fox"

HI,

I have a razorback SL for 3 years with a Nolen for rear shock. I was thinking to change it for a new Fox Float RL.
    Anybody try both, have an experience and can tell me what would the diffrence between this two suspension. Also if you know the weight for both (in kgl).

thanks

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by cooljazz
    HI,

I have a razorback SL for 3 years with a Nolen for rear shock. I was thinking to change it for a new Fox Float RL.
    Anybody try both, have an experience and can tell me what would the diffrence between this two suspension. Also if you know the weight for both (in kgl).

thanks
    I weigh 210lbs and rode the Noleen for 2.5 years and just swopped to the Fox. (See other posts with my name for problems that I had with the FoxRL and seatstay). So, first be wary of the seatstay alignment problems, you will need to see a dealer to swop (took me 35 days). As far as ride goes, the Noleen was more firm of a ride, while the Fox was way more plush. I liked both, but I really like the lockout feature on the Fox. I know the Noleen had a lockout lever, but I could never get it to work well. You really didnt need the lockout for the Noleen, but IMO you need it for the Fox. If the Fox comes back from warranty work and doesnt leak, then I can give a better opinion. A firend of mine has a Fox on his Jamis and never checks the air pressure and has no problems. I guess weighing 210 vs. 160 makes a huge difference in shock performance.

Good luck. Weight...I never weighed the units.

GMF
    Mmm... Tasty
    Quote Originally Posted by DCepp
    I weigh 210lbs and rode the Noleen for 2.5 years and just swopped to the Fox. (See other posts with my name for problems that I had with the FoxRL and seatstay). So, first be wary of the seatstay alignment problems, you will need to see a dealer to swop (took me 35 days). As far as ride goes, the Noleen was more firm of a ride, while the Fox was way more plush. I liked both, but I really like the lockout feature on the Fox. I know the Noleen had a lockout lever, but I could never get it to work well. You really didnt need the lockout for the Noleen, but IMO you need it for the Fox. If the Fox comes back from warranty work and doesnt leak, then I can give a better opinion. A firend of mine has a Fox on his Jamis and never checks the air pressure and has no problems. I guess weighing 210 vs. 160 makes a huge difference in shock performance.

Good luck. Weight...I never weighed the units.
    Hey, do you still have that noleen pull air shock? I'd like to swap out my coil-over for an air version and just use the old one for a backup.

Just curious,
    -Damon

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    No I Don't. I traded online with someone who knew of all the issues that I am having (misaligned seatstay, leaking Fox RL). I guess you meet some good people and some bad. Good luck.

Giant Anthem Rider

I use a Rock Shox remote lever for my rear shock

and it works very well. In addition:
    It is much lighter
    Easier to operate: push to lock; push button to quick release
    Can be removed without removing the grips (clamp is hinged)

As for the shock itself, it works fine even better since I upgraded the seals for free from K2. I would like to get the Fox and send it to Push Industries for the stable platform upgrade, but that's too much money for me. Also when you go with the stable platform fix they have to remove the lockout. Supposedly you won't need it. My setup works very good now.
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member

Bonking ... not feelin' well Fox Float RL

This may be wrong thread for this but,,, I am thinking that FOX Float RL shocks are not made for anyone bigger tahn 180lbs. I ride at 200 or so and I just returned from post office where I shipped out my shock in 2 pieces. Broke in 2 from the bottom of the inner tube. I did not take it off a ten foot drop or anything like that, just hopped a small log on the trail. I think the pull shock design puts too much stress in that spot and when a bigger rider rides a lot and races - it spells doom for these shocks. But, if u are 170 or less this shock design is perfect. As my shock is repaired by the mad scientist at Fox, I am going on a diet! I wish Fox would recommend these shocks more in detail. I would of tried another design or bike if I knew I would have so many issues with this shock. (2003 Razorback SL) I love the bike otherwise. I am racing a g=hardtail this weekend so I am going pack some ice for my back.

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    I'm wondering the same thing. My Noleen won't hold air after about 2.5 years. It will cost about $100 to have the Noleen rebuilt or about $260 for a new Fox. Is the Fox worth the premium, or should I just rebuild the trusty Noleen?

Giant Anthem Rider

It can hold air!!

Quote Originally Posted by speed_bump
    I'm wondering the same thing. My Noleen won't hold air after about 2.5 years. It will cost about $100 to have the Noleen rebuilt or about $260 for a new Fox. Is the Fox worth the premium, or should I just rebuild the trusty Noleen?
    I faced the same hard decision a couple of years ago. Not sure what's really going on with your Noleen, but a common problem was/is the o-rings. These (2) rings seal the outer air chamber. The original o-rings were square profile (Why?, don't know), but now they offer a kit to replace, for free, to traditional round profile o-rings. My Razorback started to lose air slowly and progressed very quickly. After replacing the rings I've been air tight for over a year and I'm 200lbs.

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    Hmmmmm,

I did get a kit from K2 to replace the o-rings last winter. The ones I got were square. After I cleaned it up, replaced them, regreased and reassembled, It worked for a few rides, but then got worse.

Since replacing the o-rings didn't work, I assumed the problem was somewhere else and I needed the complete overhaul. My lockout no longer works either.

I did ask for another o-ring replacement kit, which I got about a month ago. I'll double check, but I'm pretty sure they also have the square profile. I suppose it can't hurt to try replacing them one more time.

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    Update:

I decided to rebuild the noleen. I ordered the full rebuild kit from the K2 website ($50) and had a good mechanic at my LBS perform the labor according to the detailed instructions.

It seemed to work for a little while, but now it's losing air again. Not just between rides, but it won't make it through a single ride without loosing a lot of presswure and getting annoyingly suishy before the end.

I'm wishing now that I had just sprung for the Fox. I'm not sure if it's still an option. Another poster mentioned that it was no longer available, but I think he was referring to the seatstays and not the shock itself. I think (correct me if I'm wrong) since I have an '02 frame I don't need the upgraded seatstays.

Sounds like there are a few issued with the Fox as well. I guess now is when we pay for having a unique design with a pull-shock.

I guess the other option is to send it in to have it rebuilt, but I'm not sure that they can do a better job than my LBS did.

Giant Anthem Rider

Sounds good

Update:

I decided to rebuild the noleen...

I guess the other option is to send it in to have it rebuilt, but I'm not sure that they can do a better job than my LBS did.
    I've heard that Noleen is back up to full shop status. I'm sure they'll do a great job.

Let me try to inform you one more time of my fix. It will save you money. One thing about that rebuild kit is it is really not what you need. Like I mentioned before you need the O-rings. The outer chamber is responsible for containing air that acts as the spring. It is sealed by two identical rings one after each other touching the damper body and the outer body. It is very simple. I spoke to someone at K2 they said I needed the upgraded rings not the rebuild kit that gives you the same old style square rings ( actually shaped like a square "U" on its side) plus other unnecessary parts for the damper. Let me repeat, The square rings are the problem. They suck! Why they ever decided to use those in the first place instead of round o-rings is a mystery to me. They sent those to me for free in a kit that supplied the two rings, lube and instructions, that's it. I ran the shock without problems for the next two years before I sold it.

Well, good luck.

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    FYI, I also got the o-ring kit (instructions, rings, and lube) a second time when I got the full rebuild kit. It again came with the same o-rings with the square cross section.

So, I have changed the o-rings twice using the o-ring kit from K2 (though both times they were the "square" ones), and when it didn't appear to help, I then decided to try the full rebuild kit. I'm not sure how to get the "round" o-rings.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    FYI, I also got the o-ring kit (instructions, rings, and lube) a second time when I got the full rebuild kit. It again came with the same o-rings with the square cross section.

So, I have changed the o-rings twice using the o-ring kit from K2 (though both times they were the "square" ones), and when it didn't appear to help, I then decided to try the full rebuild kit. I'm not sure how to get the "round" o-rings.
    Try calling K2 at 800-426-1617, ext 1819 (michael). Even though all bike issues are being handled by Iron Horse as of Jan 1st, Mike still may be able to help you out. All the "kits" have/had the squared o-rings but there may possibly be some of the round ones kicking around. Good luck!