mtbr member
    Jun 2007

K2 Lithium 4.0 - heavy rear

What makes the rear of the K2 Lithium 4.0 so heavy? The weight is really unbalanced fore/aft.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    There's a lot more material in the rear. Same goes for a lot of other FS frames. I have a Trek Liquid 65 that has a heavy rear as well. I wouldn't worry about the K2 though. It's a light bike to begin with considering it's a 5" travel bike.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Thanks for the reply. Stock the 4.0 is 32.6lbs. Not exactly light. I can't find out what the frame/rear shock weigh alone to try and compare if it's the components or the frame that adds the weight.

banned
    Apr 2010
    It was a budget frame, so you're going to have thicker tubing for the application and not going to get that light, unfortunately...

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    The K2 Lithium 4.0 cost around $1600 back in 2005. It was a decent bike back then. I still think it is now. Also, back then, 32lb for an AM/XC bike was actually good. The $2000 Trek Fuel EX8 weighs around 27lb. If I remember correctly, my k2 frame was around 6.5lb including the air shock.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    I think dabears is right. I did some quick math (very quick) and think I can get my bike down to around 28# with a new wheelset, cassette, and front shock (that Tora is an anchor). If I really start tweaking with a new crankset, seat, etc. 27# would be quite possible.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Swapped out the wheel set with some Crossmax STs and the Tora or a Revelation. It's amazing how much better the balance of the bike is now. That rear Sun rear wheel is really heavy. It's down to just under 29 at this point and I could easily drop another pound, but I think I'll ride it for a while first.