mtbr member

K2 Disco Monkey Front Derailleur Issues

So I have had this K2 Disco Monkey (all Shimano XT drive train) for 6 or 7 years now and it seems like the only time I truly had great shifting performance from the front derailleur is when I first had the LBS install it. After that first summer it had a lot of shifting problems namely going from the middle cog to the innermost cog.

One LBS tech told me that the frame has a really odd design so you actually have to toe in the FD to help it shift correctly. However the different LBS techs I have taken the bike too have not had much luck in getting the FD to shift right and they usually tell me how much of a ***** it is to work with.

Has anyone found a trick or knows of a better FD that would help me out? It seems like the the protruding section inside the FD that pushes the chain into the higher gear is about a quarter inch too short to push on the chain while in the middle chain ring.

Thanks for any help and sorry for my lack of mechanical knowledge with bikes.

mtbr member
    It may be a XT thing, I have a Xt front derailer of the same vintage and I have the same problem. I have found a happy medium and my wife knows to push hard on the lever to get it into the middle gear.

You can switch to a Sram and have better luck. Or XTR if you can find one. In my case I get it to shift great into the small and the big ring but the middle has been really weird.
    I did not have this problem with the 06 Sram or XTR. Cheap fix ditch the 8 year old XT.

mtbr member
    Thanks for the reply. I will probably pick up a sram FD but I am not very familiar with sram and their component tiers. Do you recommend one that will work well but is not obsessively expensive? Thanks!

mtbr member
    Any thing in the Sram line would work. Do you know your seatpost Diameter?
    X gen 3 Sram 5,7,9. Let me know what size I Might have a freebee for you to try and
    make sure that fixes problem.

Doug

mtbr member
    Oh man that would be awesome I would gladly pay for shipping if you have one that is a bottom pull, clamp-on 31.8mm.

mtbr member
    Pm me with your shipping address I will have it to you in a few days.
    It will do both top or bottom pull.

Doug

mtbr member

... and if we just ...

doug4sail is the man!