mtbr member
    Dec 2006

k2 apache 5.0 review

Hi there all.
    I bought a k2 5.0 2006 a couple of months ago, and since then i have been riding like crazy.
    its sad not to see it on the 2008 lineup, but it still a good bike for my taste and for any who is crazy to race or go anywhere it will take you there.

the day it got to my hands it was a beauty in red color, it was awesome, and for some time it sat on my room, and i went to sleep seeing my purchase.

But well this isnt a romantic story, so ill continue.

My first ride it was alot bouncing around, cause i didnt get the show neither the fork good enought for my weight, that said, because the manitou manuals really stink....
    the sag wasnt compensating at all, and i finish putting more pounds that it said for my weight but last saturday it behave the way i wanted.

A couple of marathon rides, and alot of sweat, and i really wasnt in shape, but that is another history.

Last sunday, i had a race, it was a xc race, alot of single tracks, one technical downhill that on my hardtail i had some trouble but now i was rolling like never before going faster and just letting go.
    One uphill that here was the part where i really loved my bike, weight, design and geometry. It behave like something never seen, i passed alot of my friends and other people, and one friend that was behind me, after the race couldnt believe that the bike was only rebound on the shox cause it didnt bounce at all.

Just let me tell you this bike was a good choice and it behave like expected, once you got used to it.

I am now a big fan of SRAM shifting, it just does it, no lookin back or smashing your fingers down, it just work.

The R7, is light and absorbs everything i throw to it.

THe two things that are personal preferences are saddle, which i changed, and pedals, which after long period of time, i stayed with crank brothers, but it was difficult at first.

The only drawback i dislike about this bike, its the place where the bottle cage goes, it is almost impossible to use it, i just bought a side entry bottle cage, but either way, its difficult almost impossible, so you better carry a hydrapack or alike if you go on long journeys.

Soon ill be changing the wheelset and brakes, but its not because they dont work, its because i just prefer a better brake, and a lighter wheelset.

Any comments or questions gladly ill answer.
    Here are a couple of pics of me on the bike
    this one i dislike the face, but when you are tired, you cant do anything, hahaha...

Thanks everybody with the guidance...
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Dec 2006

More Pics

You can see more pictures about rides and races in Monterrey, Mexico and of my Cycling club at
    http://fonsideas.com/ucbt/galeria

Enjoy
    Enrique

Expert Crasher
    Very nice - enjoy the bike!
    Happiness depends more on the inward disposition of mind than on outward circumstances. Benjamin Franklin