Riding or Fishing

Fork upgrades for Zed 2.0 SE?

Hey folks,
    I'm considering upgrading my front fork. Came stock with a Rock Shox Dart 1. Nothing special, but it works.
    Couple things to consider though:
    1. I ride on the street a lot, and would like something I can lock out.
    2. I'm a clyde, and around 280 lbs.
    3. When I do ride off road, it's mainly hard pack single track, with roots, ruts, some rocks/gravel, logs..lots of up hills and downhills, allthough I don't hit any drops or jumps.
    4. Price. I'm not looking at dropping a ton of cash on it.
    I also don't want to throw off the geometry.
    What do you guys recommend? An LBS recommended the Marzocchi Grand Fondo 1 RC.
    Should I wait till mine dies?
    There is a fall bike show coming up in October...would that be a good time to buy, or should I wait till spring?
    Thanks in advance,
    M

Expert Crasher
    Take a look at the Rock Shox Tora line. Several options in that line with the 302 (coil) u-turn probably being what you're looking for. It'll be cheaper than the solo air models and probably deal with your weight better - plus it has a lockout.

On another note - RST has a new line of good quality forks - I'm running one on my 29er and it's very good.

The RS Tora should run you $220-250. Not sure on the RST pricing but I think it'll be a little more. My 29er fork (100mm with remote lockout) went for $329.
    Happiness depends more on the inward disposition of mind than on outward circumstances. Benjamin Franklin

mtbr member
    Normally for a Hardtail I would go with a litghtweight Manitou R7 or RS sid but since you are a bigger rider I would go with a Fox Van Rlc its a coil shock but still only weighs 4 pounds. Greenlights, What is the weight of the new RST Line, I have a older version on a
    Specialized that I despise but thats the older version. I would guess the old RST
    Gila at 5+ pounds.
    Last edited by doug4sail; 09-05-2007 at 03:02 PM.

Expert Crasher
    The new ones are in the low 4 lb range
    Happiness depends more on the inward disposition of mind than on outward circumstances. Benjamin Franklin

mtbr member
    Interesting. So Greenlights Your liking the new RST Line, I was on there website and
    it looked like they beefed up the stancions it did look like a upgrade. What kind of adjustments came on yours for your 29er?

Riding or Fishing
    I'm really liking the Vanilla RLC...a little hard to warrant spending more on just a fork than the bike is worth though.
    I'll see if I can snag some sort of deal on one at the show.
    Thanks for the advice

mtbr member
    Van RLC Yep sorry a little pricey new but if you look around you can get some good used deals
    Craigs list and e-bay. Seen one go for 200 bucks and it was cosmetically perfect.

Good luck.

Riding or Fishing
    Yeah I have seen some, but I learned long ago that some thing are worth buying new with some sort of warranty. I will be on the look out for a decent price...
    One thing though, are there heavier after market springs available for them?

mtbr member
    The Fox Van is the workhorse of the Fox line you should have no problem finding
    right springs. It makes a world of difference in the ride.

mbtr member
    your stock fork is never going to crap out, there's nothing to it but a spring in a tube. As a fellow bigger dude, i am amazed you can tolerate that dart with the stock spring. The dart doesn't strike me as a terribly stiff fork (it doesn't like to steer out of ruts, have you noticed?) And the problem is compounded by the soft spring it comes with. Your dart with a x-firm spring kit would be significantly better than what you've got (although still crappy) If it were me, i'd get a tora and factor in the price of an x-firm spring for 40 bucks, its a much better steering fork and theres a damper in it.

fork lockouts are of pretty limited use- when you're spinning on the road, the fork doesn't really move, and when you're standing in the saddle you probably want that fork active anyway.
    Hell is eternally climbing manzanita trail on your singlespeed.