mtbr member
    May 2009

Apache 6.0 MSRP?

K2's website lists '08 as current models; REI is only dealer listed yet REI discontinued the line. Not inspiring.

What was MSRP for the Apache 6.0?

It was apparently discontinued '07. What was the first year? What if any changes occured to affect performance during it's lifetime?

Also interested in changes affecting tire clearance; I intend to fit 650b front/rear...the 650b forum states the bike easily accomodates 650b but no specific year is mentioned.

Is it durable? I'm 6-3 235 lbs...favorite trail is pretty rutted & lotsa big rocks.

TIA!

jimbo

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    The apache lasted 2 seasons with K2-nothing was changed one year to the next, with apretty solid, light xc part spec it msrp'ed for 2500.00.

6'3"??? 235??? Ride rough Trails?? Don't touch the Apache! Besides, the k2 that made that Bike went Belly up and you'll have a hard time with warranty issues.

I had one, liked it well enough, but honestly, it's a pretty flexy, wispy bikes and without the company to stand behind it just won't be worth your time. I had to replace the frame with the first year.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Thanks for the "superb" advice; I'll scratch that off my list of potential 650b conversions. Your advice makes sense considering the bike's light weight, '24 lbs" in one test I read. Also, corners were probably cut in the frame to compensate for the low price & high level of componentry such as SRAM 9 package.

I want durability equal to or better than my new '07 Stumpy FSR Comp, which has been stone reliable for two seasons now.

What about the $3300 MSRP K2 "Factory"? Same advice?

jimbo

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    There was a Photo on this forum of a 650b converted Factory-so it'll work. BUT.....look it's just another basic single pivot bike-but again, without a company to stand behind the inevitable warranty issues. You can find them (or at least you could) pretty damn cheap-just like the last run of Iron Horse MK's (same parent company liquidating their stock afterall).

But why not just get a Kona, or some such bike that has the same suspension, same Taiwanese factory made tubing and welding...but actually still exists as a company??

mtbr member
    May 2009
    SuperbMan
    I'm currently working on an '08 Specialized Epic Carbon Expert XL. Thanks for your time & wise counsel.
    jimbo