Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Mar 2007

Apache 5.0 weight

What is the stock weight of the Apache 5.0 in the medium size?

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    I dont have a definitive answer either way but are you looking for frame weight or complete build?

The complete build is listed on Randall Scott. Someone posted the weight of the frame on here at some point. I think it was over 6 lbs.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    It says 28.6lbs. I was wondering if it was accurate and what size frame it was for? With or with pedals? Maybe I'll call rs and ask them.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    i have a 2007 5.0 and fully built on the sacle i think it was a touch below 30lbs.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by jinhao
    i have a 2007 5.0 and fully built on the sacle i think it was a touch below 30lbs.

Is that a medium frame? What pedals?

I guess it doesn't really matter since I purchased the 06 Apache 5.0 this morning.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by shades9323
    Is that a medium frame? What pedals?

I guess it doesn't really matter since I purchased the 06 Apache 5.0 this morning.
    cool, mines a large as I'm sorta clydesaleish.

the stock came with crank brothers but it was weighed in with some test ride pedals. soooo w/ test ride platforms its pretty much 30even.

how much did u pay? i picked up my 2007 5.0 on sat

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    cool, mines a large as I'm sorta clydesaleish.

the stock came with crank brothers but it was weighed in with some test ride pedals. soooo w/ test ride platforms its pretty much 30even.

how much did u pay? i picked up my 2007 5.0 on sat
    I am right on the border of the med and large. I chose the medium. I paid $900 shipped from rscycles. Comes in the red color? Is yours grey? How much did you pay? I am leaving the crank brothers pedals on mine.

Oh yeah. Post pics. not maby flying around the interned of this bike.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    mines grey http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2100/...15688b6d_b.jpg

i paid 999.93 + tax at REI on sat. clearance item but mint condition. i was actually going to pick up a lithium 3.0 from another REI but decided to check out another REI before settling... glad I did that!

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    mines grey http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2100/...15688b6d_b.jpg

i paid 999.93 + tax at REI on sat. clearance item but mint condition. i was actually going to pick up a lithium 3.0 from another REI but decided to check out another REI before settling... glad I did that!
    Any difference between the 07 and 06 bikes? I also looked at the Lithium. It seems like more of an AM bike. I was looking for an XC bike the the apache fit the bill. A few pounds lighter than the lithium.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    it definately is a AM bike w/ an adjustable rear arm for 4" or 5" of travel. in the k2 catalog, it said there was a 5lb weight savings with the apache over the 5.0 (i'm kinda confused why the marketing is comparing a XC to AM anyways...) my guess it that the lithium is also deemed a xc bike with am marketing features (u-turn, 2 mnt pts for rear arm)

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    I have an Apache 5.0, 2006 I think. Bright red in color. The grey color is way nicer. No idea what mine weighs. Get some better wheels and light tires, you can easily take off a pound plus. Nevermind the huge increase in performance. The Apache is a solid XC bike - love it!

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    yea, i'm looking into potentially some lighter wheels but i don't want to sacrafic strength as u oftentimes do. i'm a clyde so i bend spokes

mtbr member
    Enjoy your purchase! I have a 2006 Apache 6.0 medium that is 26lbs with pedals, lighter than spec.
    Hi!
    Style: XC, Mid-Atlantic roots, rocks, & poison ivy
    Rides: '06 K2 Apache 6.0, '01 K2 Razorback Team

Expert Crasher
    Quote Originally Posted by shades9323
    Any difference between the 07 and 06 bikes? I also looked at the Lithium. It seems like more of an AM bike. I was looking for an XC bike the the apache fit the bill. A few pounds lighter than the lithium.
    I wouldn't classify the Lithium as an AM bike, more like a long travel XC bike, aka the "trail bike".

PM me if interested in one - I moved up to a Sultan so my upgraded Lithium 4.0 is up for sale.

Happiness depends more on the inward disposition of mind than on outward circumstances. Benjamin Franklin

mtbr member
    Dec 2006

How to loose weight from apache 5.0 stock

Hi, i have the apache 5.0 2006 stock, and i was wondering how to loose some weight on it, and improved it alot, i have been riding alot of xc , and it has been great, but i think i could get it better so my questions are:
    1. is the wheelset could be improve over mavic crosstrail or easton or shimano xt? (other recommendations)
    2. my r7 seems to be way too plush and i dont know if getting the reba or something that you might recommend?
    3. does the bike gets better if you change the shock with something with propedal or lockout?

and also what would change to loose some weight? the bike according to rscycles its 28.6 pounds could it get better without expending alot of money and getting good stuff?
    thanks

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    I have the same bike. Spend your money on a solid and lighter XC wheelset with some nice tires (maybe w/ Stans tubeless or similar). I bought a set of XT disc wheels with Mavic 717 rims, 32 hole - light, solid, serviceable, and affordable. Also, get some better brakes - the Hayes Sole's suck. I put on a set of Hayes 9 carbons - nothing super fancy, just solid good performing brakes that anyone can afford. IMO, the stock Radium shock and the R7 Comp fork are great solid components - they don't have all the super-tunable adjustments, but they work well and are are very light. So, spend your money on wheels, tires and brakes and ride your bike alot.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    A new wheelset would definitely lighten the bike. For cheaper options, I would look to swap out your seatpost, handlebars, tubes, tires and saddle. That could potentially knock a couple of pounds off. I wouldnt touch the R7. If its too plus add more air pressure.

mtbr member
    Dec 2006

Cool-blue Rhythm

I have read that the wheelset is a good buy, but the rim is very good and can handle alot of bad treatment but the hub isnt quite good, so i was thinking on changing that first, also the brakes was my major concern, and i was thinking on getting the juicy seven.
    Of the saddle, i already changed it to a more comfy for me
    I will put more air on the R7, cause its almost impossible to make a sprint on it. the radium shock has behave wonderfully, but i dont know if i would get a better feeling if i get a lockout or something like a fox rp23 with more response.

What type of tires do you recommend? for all terrain, cause where im (monterrey, mexico) the weather sucks big time, and i have all type of terrain, and i dont like changing tires all the time, just take it out and ride.

Im still riding my bike alot, but i was thinking it could get better, like the 6.0, it weights about 2 pounds lighter, i thought this could be done on my favorite color RED

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    i've heard good things about crossrides but mixed reviews on ust tubeless. not entirely sold on it but i do like the idea of no pinch flats. thats an entirely diff subject

i would argue against the notion that seatpost,saddle, handlebar and saddle would knock a couple of lbs.. if you bought real exotic parts i estimate a 1lb savings.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    oh yea, i forgot to mention there is a r7 lockout assembly u can buy. should be about $54 but adds lockout. currently OOS everywhere but they should resume production sometime or other.

Expert Crasher
    you can drop some good weight with an upgraded wheelset - I see you mention the XT wheelset. It's UST compatible, which'll be good for the cactus in Mexico. The crop of Tubeless Ready tires out there offer lightweight alternatives to UST tires and are another good source to drop rotating weight.
    Happiness depends more on the inward disposition of mind than on outward circumstances. Benjamin Franklin

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    Yes i think i woudl get the Mavic Crosstrails (http://www.mavic.com/mtb/products/Cr...sc.995198.aspx) and leave the fork and shock this wheelset for about 500 its a good deal, and i get the ust!....
    What do you think about the seatpost and the headset ? people have told me that its better to change the crankset than all of the above.. comments?
    i definitely love the bike, other thing, that lockout for the R7 is worth the money? or its better to leave it just as it is..

all comments are appreciated ...

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    The bike is at home in the living room and I am stuck at work for 5 more hours!!!

I have told my wife not to rip into my box and mess with my bike.

Ordered it on monday, received on thursday. Colorado to Michigan. Good job rscycle!

mtbr member
    Sep 2007

Congrats!!

Enjoy. Now hope for better weather! These bikes are a steal from RS right now. I paid $999 for mine in September....I'm thinking of buying another they're so cheap at $850.

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    what seatpost, wheelset and handlebar, would you recommend.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast