Expert Crasher

2003 K2 Tirade 4.0 - Ebay

http://cgi.ebay.com/2003-K2-Tirade-4...QQcmdZViewItem

Cool find on Ebay, if anyone is interested in an older offering from K2 in the All Mountain category.

http://www.k2bikes.com/03products/mo.../tirade_4.asp#
    http://www.mtbr.com/reviews/2003_ful...t_121275.shtml
    Happiness depends more on the inward disposition of mind than on outward circumstances. Benjamin Franklin

Expert Crasher
    BTW - there are also two decent looking Razorbacks up for grabs as well.
    Happiness depends more on the inward disposition of mind than on outward circumstances. Benjamin Franklin

mtbr member
    Thanks Green lights, I am always looking for new frames. Mine is
    2000 and still holding together but you know its just a matter of time.

Expert Crasher
    If I had about $1000 in spare cash - I'd have both that Tirade and one of the Razorbacks.

As attractive as the Tirade's price is - I don't really need an AM frame....I'm an agressive (i.e. untalented and sloppy) XC/trail rider at best.

Expert Crasher
    couldn't help myself, I bid on that Tirade. I don't need it - yet....you never know!

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by GreenLightGo
    couldn't help myself, I bid on that Tirade. I don't need it - yet....you never know!
    If running this frame in the 6" travel position is important to you I would check with the seller & make sure that the shock fits. Several early production frames had issues with the interupted seat tube (mainly the weld at the bottom of the tube) interfereing with the top of the shock when trying to mount it into the 6" position (the far left hole in the linkage plate). From my experience with these frames the picture seems to show that there will be some interference. Again, this only affects the 6" postition.

If you do win it & would like to upgrade the shock to a Fox Float Ava air shock & save some weight, PM me, I have a new one in the tool box.

cheers,
    DP

Expert Crasher
    DP - just so I understand - the pic shows it currently in the 4" position?

I did have 6" in mind - combined with a RS Domain 318 U-turn up front set at about 165mm.

If I win - will keep the shock in mind. This will end up being a long term project as I'm already building a single speed and haven't finished blinging out my Lithium plus need to get a bike for my wife....

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    DP - just so I understand - the pic shows it currently in the 4" position?

I did have 6" in mind - combined with a RS Domain 318 U-turn up front set at about 165mm.

If I win - will keep the shock in mind. This will end up being a long term project as I'm already building a single speed and haven't finished blinging out my Lithium plus need to get a bike for my wife....
    Yes, currently the frame is set up in the 4" postition. I would ask the seller to put the shock in the 6" position & take a couple of pics for you.

One thing to be careful of on this frame running in the 6" travel setting is to make sure you have enough seat post inserted into the seat tube. Because the seat tube is interupted some like to cut the seat post down so the seat can be lowered down for technical downhill riding. However, when they want to raise it up for climbing they may not have enough post so they end up with little post inserted into the seat tube. This is a recipe for disaster. Many of Tirade seat tube masts have been cracked/snapped because of this, not a manufacturing defect but rider error. This is where a telescoping post works great. If using a regular post I would personally have more post in the frame than the seat post max limit line suggests just to be safe.

Not trying to scare you off from this frame, just some tips for you to keep in mind since this frame will not be covered under warranty if anything happens. Good Luck!

DP

P.S. How tall is your wife? I happen to have a one of kind Lithium 3.0 frame (size med) hanging in the garage..........

Expert Crasher
    DP - thanks for the info.

I still have my 350mm Truvativ XR double clamp seatpost that came on the Lithium, I put a 400mm WTB TXC on there, was a bit lighter and longer - I wanted to be sure there was plenty of seat post well below the top tube since I'm technically a bit tall (6'3") for the L frame. I just felt that with my 34" inseam - the L suited me better so adding a taller seat tube was an easy trade off for me.

BTW - you aren't scaring me off - just passing on good info!

more questions though
    - seat tube is 31.6?
    - is the head tube 1-1/8 or 1.5? Hard to tell in the pics. I read here http://www.cyclingnews.com/tech/?id=2002/news/nov08 that it's 1.5.
    - what fork travel was this frame designed for?

My wife is 5'9" on a good day, she's a perfect fit (standover height wise) on my son's M size Specialized Hardrock Sport Disc. PM me if it's up for grabs!
    Last edited by GreenLightGo; 05-28-2007 at 08:34 PM.

Expert Crasher
    me again, pic of a 6.0 below - I'm just confused on the 6" setting, I thought the forward most hole would be the longest travel? Maybe too many beers...mind not thinking straight.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005

more questions though
    - seat tube is 31.6?
    - is the head tube 1-1/8 or 1.5? Hard to tell in the pics. I read here http://www.cyclingnews.com/tech/?id=2002/news/nov08 that it's 1.5.
    - what fork travel was this frame designed for?

My wife is 5'9" on a good day, she's a perfect fit (standover height wise) on my son's M size Specialized Hardrock Sport Disc. PM me if it's up for grabs!
    Yes, seat tube ID is 31.6.
    the head tube on the 5.0 is 1 1/8 (1.5 on the 6.0)
    the bike came stock with a 125mm fork (5.0) but the 6.0 had a 150mm on it.
    http://www.k2bike.com/03products/mountain/tirade_5.asp

I'll PM you on my one of kind Lithium frame. Your wife would fit it perfectly!

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    me again, pic of a 6.0 below - I'm just confused on the 6" setting, I thought the forward most hole would be the longest travel? Maybe too many beers...mind not thinking straight.

Look at your Lithium, the furthest out position is the 4", the closer to the seat tube is 5", add another hole & voila! 6"

Expert Crasher
    DP - I'm an idiot. This whole time, I've been running my Lithium on the 4" setting thinking it was the 5" setting. (The owners manual my LBS included was for a BMX bike...didn't realize that until I was long gone from my vacation).

Anyway - it now makes sense. The tire has to travel further to compress the shock the same amount when it's closer to the seat tube. I went out to the garage this morning and played with my setup - let all the air out and just watched it work as I cycled the rear end. Fortunately - the swap between 4" and 5" is really easy. Added 30 PSI to the shock to keep my 11mm (22%) of sag and added in 2 more clicks of rebound back into it since it can travel a bit further now.

I wonder what i've been missing with that extra inch?

I run my shock right side up, many of pictures I see on the K2 website show the shock body upside down. Since I have a MC3 with the Floodgate setting, I need to reach that blue switch. Do you think that machining off the 4" setting bolt hole would be an issue? If I bottom out really hard (which hasn't happened yet), the potential exists that those 4" holes might hit the top of the shock body.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Expert Crasher
    Quote Originally Posted by DPCX
    Yes, seat tube ID is 31.6.
    the head tube on the 5.0 is 1 1/8 (1.5 on the 6.0)
    the bike came stock with a 125mm fork (5.0) but the 6.0 had a 150mm on it.
    http://www.k2bike.com/03products/mountain/tirade_5.asp

I'll PM you on my one of kind Lithium frame. Your wife would fit it perfectly!
    Thanks. Looking forward to that PM!

I should have looked here http://www.k2bike.com/03products/mou...de4_specs.html for my answers

mtbr member
    GLG,

Yes, clearance for shock bodies, lockout levers and air valves is the reason why you see many air shocks mounted in the opposite orientation on K2 Bike Lithiums with the 4"-5" adjustable travel link plates.

Among other changes, in order to reach 5.75 inches of travel on the 2007 Lithium 5.75 the additional front mounting hole was removed from the link plate design during the manufacturing process. The similar change that you are suggesting may allow you to run your shock with the adjusters up without interference deep in the travel, but tweak at your own risk.

Unfortunately, I do not believe that K2 Bike customer service has replacement link plates for the Lithium 5.75 yet, as these items have proven pretty bullet-proof from past history on Lithium models.

Also worth noting is that it is not feasible to offer an "upgrade kit" that would allow any other Lithium model to achieve 5.75 inches of travel, as there were significant changes in the main frame and stays that made this possible.

Cheers,
    The Kid
    T.K. Malone
    SMT Project Leader
    Proudly servicing and supporting BMC Swiss Cycling Technology

Expert Crasher
    TK - thanks for the info. Something I didn't think of earlier but going to a 5.75 rocker might require a shock with a longer eye-to-eye measurement and I'm not looking to invest in a another shock as the MC3.3 works just fine for me!

Why aren't there more K2 people out there - this is good stuff here!

If I win the Tirade - that'll be number 2 in my K2 stable. I have to sell my kids Specialized Hardrocks and get some Zeds.

Expert Crasher
    Another Tirade on Ebay - this one has a fork and some other goodies - tremendous deal if it goes cheap. http://cgi.ebay.com/Freeride-All-Mou...QQcmdZViewItem

Also - another nice looking Razorback. http://cgi.ebay.com/2003-K2-Razorbac...QQcmdZViewItem

Expert Crasher
    I didn't win the Tirade. Someone outbid me about 1 minute before the close and I can't access Ebay from work (it's blocked).

Expert Crasher
    I'm still bummed about losing this auction. Anyone willing to come to KS and give me a hug?

mtbr member
    dont give up, I picked up a 2003 Razorback frame for my wife last year to build it up.
    The thing looked brand new with a Fox Rear shox. It sucks when work gets in the way of our fun.

Expert Crasher
    I'm working on my single speed now as a diversion!