Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Ryan1584
    Jul 2008

2003 K2 Attack 2.0 - HELP!!

I'm hoping someone on this forum can assist me. I have a 2003 Attack 2.0 that I've completely rebuilt. I put on a 9-speed deore drivetrain, 2010 Marzocchi 44 RLO fork, new Deore v-brakes, XT crank, the list goes on. The only thing original on the bike is the frame. I've attached pics. It is my baby.

A few weeks ago, I was riding near Asheville, NC and noticed that one of the pivot bolts was missing from my upper seat stay that holds the rear shock onto the frame. With my fingers crossed I rode the rest of the way with one bolt and then went to Home Depot and got a bolt that I thought was a good quick fix for the rest of the trip. When I got back to the D.C. area I took it to a couple of shops. Both said my quick fix was dangerous and that I needed to contact K2 for a new set of pivot bolts and bearing for the upper seat stay. I spoke with K2. They've sold their bike unit and the company that bought them do not have the pivot bolts or bushing kits for any of the Attacks. They gave me the names of a few websites. I emailed J6shocks.com and risseracing.com but got no answer. The other site they mentions was licycleworkx.com. They have a few things but I'm not sure if they fit. I'm hoping someone here knows how to obtain new pivot bolts and bearings that hold the rear shock or even an entirely new bushings kit for the 2003 Attack. If not it looks like I'm going to have to purchase a new frame. Also, I'm far from a mechanic so I'm not even sure if I could find what I am looking for even if I was looking for it. I've included a couple links, can someone tell me if this might work for my purpose?

http://www.licycleworx.com/SearchRes...?Search=attack

Or maybe any of these?

http://www.licycleworx.com/SearchRes...how=100&page=1
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2003 K2 Attack 2.0 - HELP!!-k2-attack-2.jpg  

2003 K2 Attack 2.0 - HELP!!-k2-attack-2-9-speed-deore.jpg  

2003 K2 Attack 2.0 - HELP!!-k2-attack-2-mar-fork.jpg  

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Ryan, please check your PM

Ryan1584
    Jul 2008
    I just want to thank K2 Bikes for a speedy resolution to my problem. He guided me to www.licycleworx.com which had the 2006-2008 pivot kits. Luckily they fit my 2003!

Ryan1584
    Jul 2008
    I should add that I ordered late Wednesday and used the slowest delivery and got the parts Friday morning. Thanks again!

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    am i right in assuming that the same kit will work on a 2005 attack 1.0?

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    I have this exact same problem! My frame is a 2004 Attack 2.0, pretty sure it's a 2004.
    The links to licycleworx.com don't work anymore :-/ Spent some time on Google but couldn't find what I'm looking for. I did find a parts list here though: http://eccyclesupply.com/k2bikes/tech_library/8.pdf
    Any help finding parts 11-14 on that list would be much appreciated!

BK2
    mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Hey Guys,

Hope all is well. My name is MJ and I work for K2 Bikes. We currently have a lot of older K2 Pivot kit parts as well other older K2 parts. Please contact customerservice@eccyclesupply.com . Just let them know the following:

-Bike Model
    -year
    -part numbers from the frame diagram for your model.

We are currently working on the new K2 website which will be up soon with a new tech library and new K2 Bikes.

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    MJ,
    I need this kit as well, emailed them yesterday.
    Last edited by volklrevolution1; 09-23-2013 at 01:11 PM. Reason: grammar

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    K2 guys found most of what I need. They couldn't find the nut that goes to the bolt that holds it all together though. I'm looking for someone that can fabricate one for me. Hopefully they've got enough of the other parts. I could look into having the nuts fabricated for you too... let me know

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    A few emails exchanged right near the end of their day, sounds like the same thing you got, but no prices or purchase info yet. Just wish it was a kit with a part number and a price. Order, ship, assemble... Then again, I wish it was standard parts that were possible to find at a local shop.

It's what I get for not dropping my entire retirement savings at this point (not much at this point) on my first FS bike.

Nick from ECCS made it sound like the nut(s) is a standard locking nut that can be picked up at a hardware store though.

How much did the nut-less kit run you, out of curiosity?

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    OH wow, that's news to me. Who was it that told you that? That would probably be WAY cheaper than having one made. I've been working w/ a guy named Mike at K2. He said he'd try to see if he could find something at a hardware store but wasn't able to. Don't know if that's because he couldn't find anything or didn't have time or what though. I haven't bought it yet. I emailed the guy on Saturday 09/21 asking how to pay for it and haven't heard back yet. Some of their other kits for similar problems on different frames were under $20 though.... probably closer to $10 or $12.
    Have you been looking at new frames just in case? I built my K2 up from an empty frame I found on Ebay so I've got some great components on it. I hope to be able to switch them over to a new / nicer frame when my K2 really fails out on me... checking compatibility is a headache though :-)

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    As I said, I was exchanging emails with Nick from ECCS. Hope to get the kit ordered tomorrow, as well as getting the nut specs so I can run to the hardware store before the other stuff arrives.

I should have realized when Dikk's and Sport Authority were the only local "K2 dealers" that things might be difficult. The "bike tech" at the local Dikk's is "out" on Sunday/Monday, so I'll call him tomorrow too and find out what he can get. Talking to anyone else in that store is maddening so far Buncha clowns!

Will certainly post back here whatever I find out.

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Yeah, definitely keep me posted if you find something that works

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    This is my first FS MTB (bought it used yesterday), so I'm super anxious to get this part fixed so I can ride it!

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Well I have loved mine! I actually had the same bike from 2008 to 2010, when it was stolen. Then I found the same frame and built up a new one in 2010 which I'm still using today. Wish I would have known to keep an eye on tightening the bolts though. Someone pointed out to me that one side was missing entirely. Must have fallen out a while ago. The other side was loose, but damaged because when I tried to tighten it everything broke. Once it's all fixed the bike should last a good long time as long as you keep everything tightened and buttoned down.

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Sounds like ~$30 from ECCS, went in to Dikcs to see if they can get anything and call me back tomorrow. I'm guessing ECCS is closed for the day, so one way or another I'll order it from somewhere tomorrow. Just seems a little steep for an incomplete kit. Oh well.

PS, Talking to the "certified bike tech" at Dikc's was a much more pleasant conversation than any of the previous lackeys.

PPS, I'm assuming you can't write the name of that store due to it's homonymous anatomical feature.

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Ordered from ECCS. Supposedly all the parts needed except for the "nut M6 x 1.0" (qty. 2)

2003 K2 Attack 2.0 - HELP!!-pivotphoto.jpg

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    The nuts were $0.81/ea at the local hardware store, waiting for these parts... waiting.

Thinking this kit is way more parts than I needed. Oh well.

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Expected delivery "late this week" as they were shipped Friday, but arrived today (Monday)! Brake pads (ordered from Amazon) also arrived today. Guess what I'm working on when I get home? :-D

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Update, so the nut is NOT "just a lock nut", it needs to have a similar shoulder to it as the screws (on the left of the above photo). 3 bike shops later, got something put together that should hold up. Ended up using the shorter of the 2 axels pictured above (center of photo), another very similar part from LBS (they *gave* me 2-3 of them), and a threaded stud from a hardware store. Ends up going all the way through that joint. Supposedly just as, if not more stable than it was designed.

Also, there were more pieces missing from the kit as ordered, I probably spent a total of $5 on washers, the threaded stud, lock nuts, etc at the hardware store, didn't end up using all the washers or the lock nuts. And another $6-7 on some locktite, but that should last me a while.

Anyways, finally got out riding yesterday, bike rides great! :-D

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Glad to hear it! Don't mean to make you feel awkward but I think you stole my parts! Haha! I keep emailing my contact at ECCS but he hasn't gotten back to me. I think they may have sent their only set of stuff to you :-/ Such is life, but I seriously hope they've still got what I need! Did you ever get a phone number for them? Maybe I'll try calling tomorrow. Also, did it come with any instructions about how to put everything together? Could you take some close up pictures of the finished product so I can get a better idea of what you did?

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Phone: 631.seven-ate-zero.5360 I did leave them a phone message, but only had exchange with them via email, contact was Nick.

No instructions whatsoever, just used the diagram linked to above and some advise from bike techs at local bike shops.

Hard to really capture this as it seems pretty simple. The "axle" piece on one side, and not sure how to describe the other, threaded from one side, and just has an allen hole in the other side. Stud was just a 23mm long bar threaded the whole length.

2003 K2 Attack 2.0 - HELP!!-img_1964.jpg
    2003 K2 Attack 2.0 - HELP!!-img_1965.jpg

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Yeah, when I saw mine was broken I wondered why they didn't have a set up more like this one. Seems like it would be able to withstand the stress better. If I understand what you did correctly you went out and bought the shorter piece on the axle, Right? Is that the piece that you bought multiples of? Did you end up with any extra parts? Can I have em? :-) I'm fast losing faith in ECCS. haha

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    The longer axel piece came from the "kit" from ECCS, didn't match up with anything else on the bike, as far as length, but as it turns out, was the perfect length for this application.

Yes, I have at least one extra, bike shop gave them to me, so gimme a few bucks for shipping and a padded envelope and I'd send it your way.

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Good news! ECCS stills has all the stuff they sent you. So they're shipping them out to me. But I still need the part you went out and found at your bike shop. I know someone who is coming out here to Dominica to visit. Can you overnight the parts to her for me? I'll pay whatever it costs. I can private message you the address. Also, how do you want me to pay you. I have paypal... or I could have my bank mail you a check. Whatever is easiest for you.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast