Thread: XX1 on an XAM 2

mtbr member
    Dec 2006

XX1 on an XAM 2

Need some help from those more knowledgable than I.

Riding a 2009 XAM 2. I have included the specs for reference:

2009 JAMIS BICYCLES - SPECIFICATIONS

I'd like to go single chain ring as i am always in the smaller (non-overdrive) ring with the Hammerschmidt.

I'm thinking I'd stay with Sram but the XX1 requires a BB30 or GPX bottom bracket.

I have no clue regarding this stuff.

Is it a simple conversion or do i need to change rear derailleur, chain etc?

If it's not a major project I'd like to make it a DIY.. If it is major I'll use my LBS.

JUst not sure what I'm in for.

Only reason I'd change is i only use the smaller chainring (Hammerschmidt actually has one ring but has an "overdrive" function via planatary gears).

Thought this change give me some weight savings .

Any thoughts on this conversion ??

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    I *think* you'd be OK in the bb department if you wanted to upgrade to XXI.

More importantly, are you intending to upgrade the whole drivetrain to XXI, i.e., new deraileur, shifter, cassette, and chain? I've read good things about it, but if you are not keen on taking it up to "11" and just want a single ring crank with your existing setup, there would be lots of way cheaper options that would probably be just as light and and way lighter than the hammershchmidt.

Pretty much any double or triple crank could be made to work as a 1x with the addition of some kind of chair retention device and/or bashwich, etc.
    Sram claims the XXI doesn't need one since it uses a special chain and new shaped teeth on the ring, but again huge $ to go that route.

I haven't installed XXI, but have installed a new crank and bb on my 2010 XAM and it is a very easy DIY job. Generally, you just need a crank puller and bb tool, which are good to have anyway. Not sure how the hammerschimdt is removed, though.

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by VtVolk View Post
    I *think* you'd be OK in the bb department if you wanted to upgrade to XXI.

More importantly, are you intending to upgrade the whole drivetrain to XXI, i.e., new deraileur, shifter, cassette, and chain? I've read good things about it, but if you are not keen on taking it up to "11" and just want a single ring crank with your existing setup, there would be lots of way cheaper options that would probably be just as light and and way lighter than the hammershchmidt.

Pretty much any double or triple crank could be made to work as a 1x with the addition of some kind of chair retention device and/or bashwich, etc.
    Sram claims the XXI doesn't need one since it uses a special chain and new shaped teeth on the ring, but again huge $ to go that route.

I haven't installed XXI, but have installed a new crank and bb on my 2010 XAM and it is a very easy DIY job. Generally, you just need a crank puller and bb tool, which are good to have anyway. Not sure how the hammerschimdt is removed, though.
    Thanks for the reply.

It does not have to be XX!. My big concern is when i remove Hammerschmidt what BB will be compatible with the frame.

I have sent an E mail to Jamis. I imagine they would know.

RE: DIY. I'm willing to invest in crank puller just not sure about things like press fit etc. Don't know if other tools are needed. Well I'm off to Google.

Thanks again.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    drjay9051

XAM uses a standard english thread BB, you just need the BB compatible for your new crank.