mtbr member

XLT w/ Swinger 3way --> XLT w/ RP23/DHX?

Lately, I've been really frustrated with the rear end performance of my XLT 1.0 with the stock Swinger 3-way. I fell like the shock is just too linear and needs some compression damping in the last half of the stroke.

I have considered just replacing the frame with something like a horst link design, but that would be major $$$.

So, I'm wondering if I can improve the rear performance buy swapping the rear shock to a Fox RP23 or DHX Air. I've even considered a Swinger 4-way (w/ no tools SPV).

Has anyone done this and do the results justify the expense?

Thanks.

'aua e te fati
    Jul 2006
    I have an rp23 and I love it. I wouldn't say that the compression is real linear, especially for th e last little bit of travel. But that's not why I bought it. I bought it because I use my XLT for a XC/AM bike, and i have room for only one bike in the stable. The Rp23 makes the bike climb soo much better that it isn't even funny. Because i don't do FR stuff, I would actually like a little more linear travel, and so I might be getting the AVA sleeve from PUSH as well as getting the shock itself PUSHed.

I can't say much about the DHX 5.0 except that I have heard that it has some serious reported "stuck down" problems, and the propedal range is nothing compared to the rp23, but they were built for fundamentally different riding styles. Were I you, and considering a DHX, I would go coil.

I haven't ridden the swinger for very long, but I have a minute :03 and I know how the SPV no tools volume adjustment functions. I honestly can hardly tell the difference with respect to bottoming out after adjusting the volume from 1 through 4. I wouldn't buy that shock, but it is mostly because I wouldn't want a platform that I can't switch on and off on the rear. As it is with my fork, I am running the SPV volume just barely above the recommended pressure to get a decent ride. When the SPV is up high enough to do anything about pedal bob on a swinger, my guess is that the ride would totally suck - no little to medium size bump absorption at all.

What's your riding style like? Where do you live? Do you have any buddies with a faux bar bike with any of the shocks you mentioned? If at all possible, RIDE ONE FIRST and set it up correctly. Oh and by the way, the Rp23 will run you about $400 (unless you get it off of ebay), the DHX air will be about $450, and the swinger is by far the cheapest - $150 on ebay (I just searched).

mtbr member

Yeah, what he said....

Quote Originally Posted by matamua
    I have an rp23 and I love it. I wouldn't say that the compression is real linear, especially for th e last little bit of travel. But that's not why I bought it. I bought it because I use my XLT for a XC/AM bike, and i have room for only one bike in the stable. The Rp23 makes the bike climb soo much better that it isn't even funny. Because i don't do FR stuff, I would actually like a little more linear travel, and so I might be getting the AVA sleeve from PUSH as well as getting the shock itself PUSHed.

I can't say much about the DHX 5.0 except that I have heard that it has some serious reported "stuck down" problems, and the propedal range is nothing compared to the rp23, but they were built for fundamentally different riding styles. Were I you, and considering a DHX, I would go coil.

I haven't ridden the swinger for very long, but I have a minute :03 and I know how the SPV no tools volume adjustment functions. I honestly can hardly tell the difference with respect to bottoming out after adjusting the volume from 1 through 4. I wouldn't buy that shock, but it is mostly because I wouldn't want a platform that I can't switch on and off on the rear. As it is with my fork, I am running the SPV volume just barely above the recommended pressure to get a decent ride. When the SPV is up high enough to do anything about pedal bob on a swinger, my guess is that the ride would totally suck - no little to medium size bump absorption at all.

What's your riding style like? Where do you live? Do you have any buddies with a faux bar bike with any of the shocks you mentioned? If at all possible, RIDE ONE FIRST and set it up correctly. Oh and by the way, the Rp23 will run you about $400 (unless you get it off of ebay), the DHX air will be about $450, and the swinger is by far the cheapest - $150 on ebay (I just searched).
    I ride the XLT as you do, XC/AM.

I also have the 2006 Minute 3, which was a huge step up from my RS Psylo Race. On the fork, I think I can actually feel the difference between SPV #1 and #4, but it might all be in my head. I agree with what you are saying about the RP23 vs DHX and think that the RP23 is the way to go.

I think the SPV in back just doesn't cut it. It works, but to have it climb like a hard tail, which it will, you have to set the SPV really high. But this makes riding everything else difficult.

I live in the Boulder CO area and ride everything detween smooth-ish ST and rocky as hell stuff. No hucking or drops really (at least nothing intentional).

Thanks for the input.

'aua e te fati
    Jul 2006
    Dave, too bad you live in CO, I am in UT and I would let you try my setup out first. Your riding sounds pretty much like mine, go with the rp23 and you won't be disappointed.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by yogidave
    Lately, I've been really frustrated with the rear end performance of my XLT 1.0 with the stock Swinger 3-way. I fell like the shock is just too linear and needs some compression damping in the last half of the stroke.

I have considered just replacing the frame with something like a horst link design, but that would be major $$$.

So, I'm wondering if I can improve the rear performance buy swapping the rear shock to a Fox RP23 or DHX Air. I've even considered a Swinger 4-way (w/ no tools SPV).

Has anyone done this and do the results justify the expense?

Thanks.
    Hey dood's!!!

I got my XLT frame with the Fox Float R. Really, the only difference between the Float R and RP23 is the platform function. It doesn't have any more compression or progressive "end-of-travel" resistance than the Float R.

That said, I had exactly the same problem that you did regarding "end of travel". It bottomed out waaay too easily. When I set it up to where it didn't bottom out...it was overly harsh on small stuff.

I think the RP23 could have a similar handicap for aggressive the XC/AM riding that the XLT is beggin' to do.

I replaced my Float with a 2007 Van R piggy back shock and it's perfect for aggressive riding. It is very responsive on small trail chatter and feels like it has given my XLT an inche more travel due to the more progressive feel and bottom-out bumper.

It truly is perfect for my style of riding.

I know that there are plenty of people riding aggressively on RP's, but I just wouldn't be happy with the feel of it on trail chatter and stutter bumps b/c I'd have to set it up with 15% sag so it wouldn't bottom out.

Just a different perspective for ya.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    I do find it odd that my Float R was more "linear feeling" than the Vanilla R, but I believe that the secret to the Vanilla lies within the damper. It has enough compression damping to inspire aggressive riding whereas the RP and Float R lean over to the XC side of the fence.

When I had the Float, I ran 15% sag. With the Vanilla, I run 25% or maybe even more and I don't bottom out like I did with the air shock.

mtbr member

I appreciate the feedback...

Gotta see if I can find a "loaner" shock to test out my theories.... before I plunk down some change for a new shock....

I'll also try and run the sag near 15% instead of the 25-ish I normally run. I don't think it bottoms out too easily, just the the SPV creates an on/off situation rather than a progressively ramping spring rate. I'm curious if the Pro-Pedal wold feel better than SPV...

'aua e te fati
    Jul 2006
    Good luck finding a loaner. I just took the plunge. I spent a little extra and bought it from REI - special ordered - so that I could return it if I didn't like it.