mtbr member
    Apr 2007

XLT for my next bike

Hey guys. I'm looking into a Jamis XLT for my next bike. Ive seen them on jensonusa pretty cheap, and i guess people are satisfied with them. Im just going to buy the frame though. I need some info tho. They have the 1.0, 2.0 and 3.0, whats the difference?

I currently ride a iron horse hard tail, and love to climb with it, but the descents and light drops are rough. Im looking for a bike that can be taken uphill and downhill. I dont do downhill racing, and im not much of a freerider. With this be a good All mountain frame for some singletrack and fast bumpy descents?

Also, im about 5'8" 140lbs. What size would you guys recommend?

Thanks, all help appreciated

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    1. The higher the number the better the rear shock will be. (for the same year model, shock spec will change year to year)
    2. Puuuuuuuuuurrrrrrrrrfffffffffeeeeeeccctt!
    3. Probably a 17in. sit on a couple and see how they feel, thats the best way.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Alright cool.
    So i see a XLT 1.0 on jensonusa, just the frame for pretty cheap. If i got it, i could upgrade the shock later and be just as good as a 2.0 or 3.0?

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    Yep, but its always cheaper to buy the better gear as a package than upgrade later.
    Unless your getting a killer deal.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    I bought the straight-up XLT frame. It's actually a step below the 1.0. It didn't matter to me b/c Jamis didn't sell the frame with the shock I wanted. I bought the frame and ordered a Van R rear shock. I LOVE IT!!!

It doesn't sound like you're going to be riding terribly aggressive so I think the Swinger on the 1.0 should suit you fine. I find that if I'm going to be riding really rough terrain...I prefer a coil sprung shock. With the Swinger, you'll probably save around a pound or so. Just build it, ride it, and see what ya think. It sounds like it will suit your style/terrain perfectly, and I +1 on the 17".

Good luck!

'aua e te fati
    Jul 2006
    Like Chelboed, I too have the straight up XLT frame. I am running a Fox Rp23 in the back, and I love it. Before my XLT, I had a Jamis XC Expert (for a few months) and before that, I had an Iron Horse Warrior Expert hardtail. The reason that I bought the Rp23 is because I, like you don't do anything crazy, and I wanted it to still climb like my hardtail.

I have only demo'ed the swinger, and can't say much about it. I didn't love the feel, but I didn't spend forever dialing it in either. For what it's worth though, I do have a Manitou Minute :03 fork (which I love) that has the same SPV type platform design. I would not want that in a rear shock because you can't turn the platform off. It is active until the pressure in the shock is sufficient to exceed the threshold and then the shock engages as it would without a platform. The problem with that is not on the climbs but the descents. In order to eliminate pedal bob, you will need to put quite a bit of pressure in the SPV chamber, and by doing that, you will have a stiffer ride. In other words, your bike will not soak up the little stuff, but only engage on the bigger stuff. Personally, I run barely above the minimum pressure in my fork to strike the balance between platform and plush. I can get away with that because I rarely am out of the saddle when I climb, and the geometry is such that the front end doesn't have much of my weight on it.

I don't want to deter you from buying/riding a Jamis though. As far as money value goes, you simply cannot beat Jamis. I LOVE MY XLT. My dad has a Stumpjumper expert that cost him way more than I paid, and I would ride my XLT any day over his bike. Good luck in your search, and let me know if you have any more questions.