mtbr member

XLT frame weight?

I have a 19" 2004 XLT frame with a swinger 3 way... Does anyone happen to know what these things weigh?

Frame/shock only.

Thanks.

mtbr member

mtbr member
    I had (or still have) a 2004 19" XLT 3.0. I upgraded the TALAS shock to RP3, and replaced the shock mount & linkage bolts with ti, and it was exactly 6.8 lbs. Just bought a large Titus Motolite II (6.1 lbs) for replacement, so will be selling the frame. I switched the bolts back to the stock steel ones for selling, and just went out to the garage to weigh it - with RP3, lizard skins chainstay guard, and Cane Creek headset cups, it was 6.98 lbs. I know the RP3 saved about 1/2 lb over the TALAS (229g vs 450g), so it all depends on your shock. Plus, I think as the years went on, the chainstay got beefed up, and the later model years (or year) was made with standard aluminum, vs the thinner/lighter Kineses aluminum.
    Hey, I didn't see that rock there."

'aua e te fati
    Jul 2006
    Millsm,

Where did you get your Ti bolt kit? What bolts did it include (from what I gather it was chainstay and seatstay bolts?) and how much was it?

mtbr member
    I believe I ordered them through hyperbolts.com - I just measured the length of the stock ones and ordered them individually. Warning, though - I ordered the countersunk ones for the seatstay pivots, but they did not have an exact fit. Used them for probably about a year, and started noticing play in the rear end. Put the stock bolts back in, and problem solved. So, I just used ti for both the shock mount bolts, ti nut for the upper shock mount, the 4 counter-sunk bolts for the rear brace, and ti for the lower swing link pivot (could not remove the upper swing link bolts - they were countersunk, anyway, so a good thing). Of course, I swapped as many bolts out for ti throughout the bike, and ended up replacing about 65 bolts and saving 1/4 lb (100 grams or more). Not much weight saved for the money, just mainly the looks, rust-free, and bling factor.

mtbr member

Same wave length.....

Quote Originally Posted by millsm
    I had (or still have) a 2004 19" XLT 3.0. I upgraded the TALAS shock to RP3, and replaced the shock mount & linkage bolts with ti, and it was exactly 6.8 lbs. Just bought a large Titus Motolite II (6.1 lbs) for replacement, so will be selling the frame. I switched the bolts back to the stock steel ones for selling, and just went out to the garage to weigh it - with RP3, lizard skins chainstay guard, and Cane Creek headset cups, it was 6.98 lbs. I know the RP3 saved about 1/2 lb over the TALAS (229g vs 450g), so it all depends on your shock. Plus, I think as the years went on, the chainstay got beefed up, and the later model years (or year) was made with standard aluminum, vs the thinner/lighter Kineses aluminum.
    Thanks... good info.

A couple of questions...
    1) how was the bike with the RP3? I have also been thinking of upgrading my swinger 3 to a Fox shock with pro-pedal.

2) How much was the bolt kit new? Are you selling the bolt kit? How much?

3) I too have thought that a motolite is next for me. The XLT was always considered my "gateway" bike..... Assuming you've riden the Motolite, how do they compare? That would be useful info since I'v been looking at the Motolite.....

Thanks a bunch.

mtbr member
    With the ti bolts, I didn't buy a kit - just pieced together a collection over time. Mainly ordered from hyperbolts.com, racebolts.com, or torontocycles.com. Ended up with something like 65-70 pieces replaced - reasons for weight savings, but mainly the "cool" factor to go with the nice components I had hung on it. Nice thing is I was able to move everything over to the Motolite except new fork (Motolite had a much longer headtube) and headset (Motolite takes a standard headset - was able to finally get the King I originally wanted). Anyway, I finally "traded up" to a Motolite, taking advantage of the sale at competitive cyclist. Built her up with what I had on the Jamis: XTR derailleurs/crank/BB/shifters/cassette/pedals; Juicy Carbon brakes; Thomson post & stem; King/317/Revolution/alum nip wheelset; Kenda 2.1 Nevegals w/Panaracer Greenlite tubes; PC-991 chain; Salsa ti skewers/QR seat clamp; WTB Pure V Team saddle; carbon monkeylite bar; ruffian lock-on grips; Nokon cables; Titec micros bar ends; Lizard Skins chainstay guard; Specialized Team wireless computer; Incredibell bell. Came in exactly 1 pound lighter than the Jamis at 27 lbs. Just always wanted that nice frame, but didn't have the dough at the time to shell out (got the Jamis frame new for $599, Motolite for $1399). As for the difference in the RP3, I started out with what came stock with the frame, the Fox TALAS shock, and didn't really feel any difference between the two - nice, smooth, and linear (and i'm 140 lbs, not an easy thing to do). Nice thing was the ability to increase the Propedal for climbs, instead of a full-on lockout on the TALAS, and the fact that it saved 1/2 lb over the TALAS. Anyway, i've only ridden the Titus once, and I must say it is SWEET!! The rear end feels so much stiffer, even though I only took it on a short, easy ride in the mud (live up in Anchorage). Had to get it cleaned & hung up for the winter and break out the studded singlespeed before the snow started flying. Still looking forward to next spring, when I can really put it through its paces. For now, just have the dilemna of trying to sell the Jamis frame/headset/Fork What would you say is a fair price? Really don't want to ship it, so may post it on Craigslist for the Anchorage area.

mtbr member

For a used frame/Fork...

Quote Originally Posted by millsm
    With the ti bolts, I didn't buy a kit - just pieced together a collection over time. Mainly ordered from hyperbolts.com, racebolts.com, or torontocycles.com. Ended up with something like 65-70 pieces replaced - reasons for weight savings, but mainly the "cool" factor to go with the nice components I had hung on it. Nice thing is I was able to move everything over to the Motolite except new fork (Motolite had a much longer headtube) and headset (Motolite takes a standard headset - was able to finally get the King I originally wanted). Anyway, I finally "traded up" to a Motolite, taking advantage of the sale at competitive cyclist. Built her up with what I had on the Jamis: XTR derailleurs/crank/BB/shifters/cassette/pedals; Juicy Carbon brakes; Thomson post & stem; King/317/Revolution/alum nip wheelset; Kenda 2.1 Nevegals w/Panaracer Greenlite tubes; PC-991 chain; Salsa ti skewers/QR seat clamp; WTB Pure V Team saddle; carbon monkeylite bar; ruffian lock-on grips; Nokon cables; Titec micros bar ends; Lizard Skins chainstay guard; Specialized Team wireless computer; Incredibell bell. Came in exactly 1 pound lighter than the Jamis at 27 lbs. Just always wanted that nice frame, but didn't have the dough at the time to shell out (got the Jamis frame new for $599, Motolite for $1399). As for the difference in the RP3, I started out with what came stock with the frame, the Fox TALAS shock, and didn't really feel any difference between the two - nice, smooth, and linear (and i'm 140 lbs, not an easy thing to do). Nice thing was the ability to increase the Propedal for climbs, instead of a full-on lockout on the TALAS, and the fact that it saved 1/2 lb over the TALAS. Anyway, i've only ridden the Titus once, and I must say it is SWEET!! The rear end feels so much stiffer, even though I only took it on a short, easy ride in the mud (live up in Anchorage). Had to get it cleaned & hung up for the winter and break out the studded singlespeed before the snow started flying. Still looking forward to next spring, when I can really put it through its paces. For now, just have the dilemna of trying to sell the Jamis frame/headset/Fork What would you say is a fair price? Really don't want to ship it, so may post it on Craigslist for the Anchorage area.
    I guess the asking price depends on 2 things.

1) Frame condition and
    2) type of fork.

Shipping isn't that bad. Fall/winter isn't the best time to get top dollar for used stuff, but it is a good time to sell quickly for lower cost. Check ebay for benchmarking prices.

By the way, is there such thing as a rear shock with TALAS?

'aua e te fati
    Jul 2006
    Millsm,

I second that it depends on the condition of the frame/fork, and especially the year. People are generally leary of the 2003-04 XLTs because of the chain stay issues and the "kiss". Since it had the TALAS (and yes they did make a TALAS rear shock for about a year) I am guessing it was a 2005. You didn't mention what fork you had on it or what kind of condition either of them is in.

I check ebay and craigslist pretty frequently, and if it is in good condition, you could probably get in the neighborhood of $400 if the fork and frame are in good condition - minor cable rub, no dents, no leaks in the fork seals, etc. and approximately $50 is decent for shipping, although because you live in Anchorage it may cost you a little more. Unless you really need to get rid of it, I would hold off and then put it on Ebay this spring. Unless you have a lot of Jamis fans in Anchorage, I would steer clear of craigslist just because it takes forever.

Good luck!

mtbr member
    Yes, it is a 2004 - I bought the 2004 model in 2005 from Rbikes.com for $599 - killer deal. The 2004 & 2005 XLT 3.0 models both had the TALAS shock. It was basically just like the older Float RL models with the lockout & rebound, except it had the 3 travel adjust settings on it, enabling it to "shrink down" from 2" stroke to 1 3/4" and 1 1/2". I believe the older Trek Liquids and Titus Switchblades had these shocks on it, along with the Jamis 3.0's. If you check ebay, you can still find them listed every once in a while. Thing was I never used the travel adjust, and only the lockout when I hit the pavement. Switching to the RP3 was nice, as I could firm up the suspension for better climbing, along with saving over 1/2 pound. As for the frame, it's in killer condition - only minor cable rub and a few paint chips on the underside of the downtube from rocks - I usually "baby" my bike stuff and ride pretty mellow - that's how my 1999 XTR rear derailleur is still good-as-new, aside from a few scratches. The fork is the 2004 Fox TALAS RLC, which came stock on that model that year. Both frame & shock colors match - that medium grayish fox color, with the frame being that gray and black. Fork's in excellent shape, also - just minor hydraulic hose rub and a few scratches on the side from rubbing against other bikes on a hanging rack. I'll probably try craigslist for a while, then post on ebay in the spring. Thanks for the info guys.

'aua e te fati
    Jul 2006
    If you've got the frame and fork in that good of condition, start it out at $500 and see what you can do.