mtbr member
    Jul 2005

XLT Chainstays...interesting

I've been patiently waiting on my new swingarm that's on the way as we speak. It will be here Tuesday. I have done a bit of research and found that Jamis didn't change the design of the chainstays until 2006. Here are a few comparisons:

2005 XLT's little support webbing toward the dropout end of the chainstay is much shorter than the 2006 and 2007 chainstay. The yolk looks different too.

2005 XLT

2006 XLT (the chainstay-yolk interface where mine broke, is welded transversely instead of just straight across)

2007 XLT

2007 XAM

Here's the funny thing...look at the Diablo freeride chainstays:

It's almost like they are using a Diablo swingarm for everything because of all of the warranty issues that they had to deal with, hehe. I called Jamis and asked about it and they said that the swingarm is very similar, but the Diablo has a little thicker tubing in spots and the yolk is a little different.

That's reassuring to me, knowing that I'll have a tougher swingarm this time.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    I have a 2005 xlt 1 and snapped the chainstay last year. I had to do the 3 mile hike a bike. the shop was great about replacing it. the replacement specs were off and the wheel didn't sit correctly. the shop should have noticed the problem but sent me home w/ it. i went back & showed them the problem & they replaced it again.
    i have to say i hate the minute fork. my bike feels like an endo machine. I dpnt know if its because i weigh 200lbs?
    i think the bike is also a bit too heavy. I am now building a Titus motolite
    CREV

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by CREV
    the wheel didn't sit correctly
    What was off? Was it crooked, or was the swingarm too long/short?

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    I dont know the exact terminology but the points where the wheels sits into the chainstay was like 8mm too wide. the wheel would not seat properly. the shop measured the width of the part they gave me and the width of another chainstay and there was a noticable difference
    CREV