'aua e te fati
    Jul 2006

XLT Brake Poll - What are you running?

Hey everybody. I am in the market for new brakes. I am 200lbs and I am running Avid mechs right now with 160mm rotors front and rear. If I find a smokin' deal on some Formula K24s I'll be getting those, but otherwise I think I'll end up with some J7s.

What size brakes/rotors are you running?

Former Bike Wrench
    I'm 225lbs and running a 180 rotor up front with a 160 rotor in back with Semi-Metallic pads. This feels very balanced. I'm running the stock HFX-9's...the rear one has been functioning great, the front one I had to replace a piston and overhaul the master cylinder (I do my own work) and is now working great.

'aua e te fati
    Jul 2006
    Do you think that 203 up front and 185 in back would be overkill?

Former Bike Wrench

IMHO-yes

Quote Originally Posted by matamua
    Do you think that 203 up front and 185 in back would be overkill?
    I would have a hard time trying to imagine where you could ride your XLT and need that big of rotors. Given the XLT can handle a lot of abuse...but 203/180(5) is a pretty standard DH setup. So unless your running the Kamikaze DH or you weigh 300+ lbs I would say its overkill.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    I run BB7s on my XC, and can't imagine ever using anything else. More than enough power for me, and so easy to adjust. 160s front and back.

'aua e te fati
    Jul 2006
    I went out and rode my dad's bike first just to make sure and even though most will think it is a bit excessive, I went with the 203/185 J7 combo. I snagged the '08 model for $240 total, so it was almost too good to pass up.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by matamua
    I went out and rode my dad's bike first just to make sure and even though most will think it is a bit excessive, I went with the 203/185 J7 combo. I snagged the '08 model for $240 total, so it was almost too good to pass up.
    For your style of riding, I think 203/185 is going to be a bit of overkill. I use 185/160 and don't find myself needing more. If I were you I'd still go with te 203/185 though b/c I'm pretty "Tim Taylor" when it comes to stuff like brakes, hahaha.

I'm sure the Hydro factor alone will be astonishing to you...let alone the fact that you're going to upsize the front by 2". Be careful not to shank your head!!

Make sure your fork is rated for 203mm rotors...you don't wanna overstress those bushings/mounts and all that crap.

'aua e te fati
    Jul 2006

... and if we just ...

Chelboed-

More power -(insert Tim growl here)-. I have ridden my dad's bike quite a bit and I have come to appreciate the hydro's. I love not having to apply the vulcan death grip to my levers to get a response.

As far as the power goes, I took his bike out for a little test run before I pulled the trigger and the deciding factor was when I was barely pedaling and slammed on the front brake and the back tire came off the ground a good foot and a half. Even though I'll probably never need them, I'll have them, and because I don't care about having the extra weight (they actually lost 30g in the lever body over last year's model) its a win-win situation for me.

For the fork - I scoured and scoured the net for specs on my fork as well as the owner's manual. No info. I know that I read it somewhere but I can't find it now. I posted in the brakes forum as well as the suspension forum and I got a few replies telling me that I should be fine. It's a 32mm stanchion fork, and I probably only ever need to feather them so I should be ok.

The only thing that sucks is that I don't get them until Christmas! Hopefully Dry Creek and Bobsled will still be ridable when I mount 'em up. Otherwise the anticipation will just kill me.

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    I have the J7s with 160s all around and think I am going to bump up to the 7" in front, I had that setup on a previous bike and I liked it better. I can overheat the 6" front rotor pretty good on some trails and especially if I hit the mountain and do some DH type runs.

I weigh 225.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    I run 160's front and rear and they perform great but I only weight 175. I can see wanting a 185 in the front for a little heavier rider.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    160mm bb5s are fine for me

mtbr member
    Avid J7's with 160 rotors front and rear do fine for me.