Thread: XCT Bearings

mtbr member
    Dec 2009

XCT Bearings

Has anyone replaced the bearings in their XCT yet (on your own)? I'm a bit unhappy with the seat-stay geometry for pressing out bearings. Anyone have any tricks? You have to use a blind bearing removal tool (with a slide hammer) to get 'em out?

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Nevermind. I figured it out.

For anyone interested, the big problem getting the bearings out of the seat stay was that I couldn't use a press since any draft would not sit on a flat surface. I also couldn't use a threaded rod with nuts to press out the bearings (at least at first). The geometry of the seatstays basically makes the whole thing flex when you try to push out the bearings, preventing the force from aligning with the bearing axis and possibly plastically deforming the seat stay assembly.

Solution:
    I took a 3/8 inch x 1 foot long threaded rod with a couple of nuts and used that to fix the width where the drop-out pivot assembly lives. Then I used a 3/16 inch threaded rod with a couple of coupling nuts to force out the seat stay pivot bearings. I'll use the reverse process to install the bearings as well (using the old bearings as a draft).

If I'm not a lazy SOB, I'll put together some pictures. Sucker popped pretty good when the bearing finally broke free. Moved the first bearing to the inside of the frame to have a surface to push against when driving the second bearing out. Also, used 4 nuts on the 3/8 rod side to distrubute the load on all bearing surfaces (I wasn't sure how much force was going to be needed to drive out the two bearings).

If you do this, wear safety glasses. And you're SOL if the bearing breaks and you have to get the outer race out.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Pictures would be greatly appreciated as i will be doing this soon.