mtbr member
    Oct 2005

XCR - part time all mountain?

Hi All from Australia,

Looking and jumping onto a Jamis by getting an XCR with Fox Talas up front.

I am an agressive XC rider 95% of the time who likes to try the occasional DH, jump and drops for fun (nothing serious as I take the "b" lines and only a max of 2 foot drops). Therefore looking to get more of an XC dual suspension with the ability to use it for "all mountain" use (hence the Talas fork). Originally going to get a trance (or the Felt Virtue), but I feel that is it more "trail" than XC.

How does the XCR frame/rear suspension "feel"... specially compared to the Giant Trance?
    Will the XCR handle my aggressive XC style?

Thanks for any comments.

cheers.

"Ride Lots" Eddy Merckx
    XCR is a great XC frame...it is NOT designed for drops and you will probably break it if you do any serious DH/drops on it. That's not a knock on Jamis, rather people seeking to use XC frames for things they are not designed for. IMO, get an XLT or XAM if you want all mountain. Sounds like you should get two bikes really!
    "Big Gulps huh?...Allllriggghhht....Welp, See ya later!"

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    thanks for the reply.

2 bikes would be ideal. In an ideal world

However in my world, my wife does not agree with the 2 bike theory. Maybe I need 2 wives...

I guess the question should be:
    Should i buy a bike which will suit 95% of my riding style (XC) or get a bike that will take the abuse of the other 5% (AM, which means i have to carry the extra weight 95% of the time to cover for the 5%).

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by splunk
    thanks for the reply.

2 bikes would be ideal. In an ideal world

However in my world, my wife does not agree with the 2 bike theory. Maybe I need 2 wives...

if you had 2 wives, you'd be shopping for your new bike at WalMart as thats all you could afford

"Ride Lots" Eddy Merckx
    Sounds like you might want to try an XAM with a lighter wheelset. My 07 XCR expert is almost 29lbs out of the box for a 19". The XAM's are not much more, and could be the same weight with nicer wheels.
    "Big Gulps huh?...Allllriggghhht....Welp, See ya later!"

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    My 17in XAM2 is 14.1kg with pedals, All I did was replace the tyres with Ignitors, 2.1 on the rear and 2.35 on the front with a stans kit in both. You could get it lighter if you put different bar stem and post, I was also going to fit an RP23 but they don't come long enough.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    14kg is not really heavy for an AM bike. I already have a 14ish kg AM bike - Giant Reign

Looking for a 12 kg bike to replace it (such as a xcr pro as i have a bit more $$$ to spend this time). I will need to take one for a test ride me thinks.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    I would probably go more for the XCR expert than the pro for what you want to do, With the change you have over you could get a very nice set of race wheels and tyres and swap between the wheels depending on what riding you were doing. There is also a review on the XCR expert in mountain biking aust and in a past issue of MTB action, both agree that a change of wheels would be good to make the expert a good enduro/club XC racer.

mtbr member
    Jun 2004

Xam

Hey guys....the XCR is an XC race bike and I would not suggest using it for any DH type stuff..Trail riding, and lite AM would be OK. I ride an XCR and a XAM my XCR is great for trail riding all day and doing technical trails up and down! I love it, we are also sponsoring the Jamis / Garmin team and it is a team of Pro and Semi Pro XC riders. Some of the guys are using the XCR for Super D and some are using the XAM.
    Personally I dig the XAM for the more aggressive riding. Kathy Pruitt even raced the XAM in a few loval DH races as well as the Sea Otter DH finishing 5th. The XAM is only about 31 pounds out of the box, you can change tires and bar and stem and lose some weight. But the BIKE rips right out of the box. It climbs well and goes down great!

if you want send me a mess..
    ]
    Craig "Skippy" Hoyt

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    Totally agree with you there Skip about the XAM. Great to see Kathy Pruitt coming 5th in the sea otter DH on one, says alot about the bike.
    It would be great if we could get a few more people on them over here in oz. They just don't have the same following here as over there, all will be good with time when people realize how good the Jamis bikes are.