mtbr member

Will my Jamis crack

Hi, I've just got my first Jamis Dakar and need help identifying the year model and if this model is prone to cracking the chainstay. I got a good deal on craigslist in great condition and I'm thrilled with it so far. Now I don't plan on doing exreme jumps and downhills on this bike but i expect it to survive whenever I get crazy like my Wallyworld Mongoose did. Will I be ok or should I look for something else? BTW I'm 160lb 5.9 and the Dakar is the 19 inch version (I know its a little big for me but I can handle it)
    Will my Jamis crack-uploadfromtaptalk1363560539262.jpg
    Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

Will my Jamis crack-uploadfromtaptalk1363560446383.jpgWill my Jamis crack-uploadfromtaptalk1363560485634.jpg

What?
    Looks like a 2007 Dakar XC

BikePedia - 2007 Jamis Dakar XC Complete Bicycle

I wouldn't worry about it breaking. The percentage of frames that fail are relatively small. If you had a 2008 XAM or Parker, it might be a different story. In your situation, I wouldn't spend much time thinking about it.

mtbr member
    That is a 2005 Dakar, the Dakar Sport from that year was Red and had a Fox air shock and disc brakes. Your model should have disc ready hubs, so you can upgrade if you desire. I was over 250 at the time I had that model and it kept up with me. Don't worry about cracking it, it's solid. But, there are exceptions and that bike is well built if you keep it within it's means (XC) and don't go to a bike park and expect it to last too long. BTW, my friend had the 05' sport at a bike part 3 or 4 times, and is still riding it. Also, the 05 and below had bushings in most of the pivots, bearings came on 06 on the entire XC line. I keep and 07 around to loan out. Same frame but bearings. See here:http://www.bikepedia.com/QuickBike/B...e#.UUcLmr3D-Hs

mtbr member

Re: Will my Jamis crack

Thanks guys, yeah its a 2005 Dakar. I feel more secure about it now. Time to throw on those new disk brakes and rims I have laying around.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Confused
    I watched an 08' Dakar crack right at those welds lastnight. Not saying yours will. But he was only getting maybe 3' of air on a local jump line. Just be aware.
    Colorado Springs, Co.
    www.theInflexibles.com

mtbr member
    3 Feet of air is not typical for a cross country bike, AM/Trail maybe.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Yes it will Crack. Either at the Chainstay, Shock Mount or the Head tube will split. Good luck with it. Jamis try's to claim all their Frames only ever had a 5 year warranty. It was changed around 2008 anything before that was sold as lifetime to the original owner. The Bike looks brand new. Did it come out of some forgotten crawl space in your local shop?

What?
    Quote Originally Posted by Tracer650 View Post
    Yes it will Crack. Either at the Chainstay, Shock Mount or the Head tube will split. Good luck with it. Jamis try's to claim all their Frames only ever had a 5 year warranty. It was changed around 2008 anything before that was sold as lifetime to the original owner. The Bike looks brand new. Did it come out of some forgotten crawl space in your local shop?
    So you think that every Jamis frame will crack?

mtbr member
    Tracer650,
    Take a look at my post "a bad day for my XLT". Mine is a 2005 Dakar XLT that I bought in 2007. It was out of warranty late last year and the chainstay snapped a month and half ago. Jamis contacted me because of my post and offered to warranty my chainstay even though they did not have to. The bike is rebuilt, I'd say that's a success story of how they treat their customers. All brands have examples of defects, some happen early in the life, some don't. Aluminum is somewhat brittle, eventually it will fail. I always take care of my bikes, however the XLT was not babied in any way. As an ex-motocrosser/jetski racer I ride the bike hard, it took 5 years of that so I am happy. I even bought a new Jamis XCT Carbon based on they're support.

mtbr member
    My 2011 650 B-2 just craked at the rear swing arm at the gusset disc side.
    I don't really jump or do knarly drop's, just your regular So Cal stuff. I love this bike, just got it dialed in. Took it in today for warranty. Hope to get it back soon, back on the Ti hardtail 650b for a few weeks.
    can you pop a wheelie?

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Yep, all frames will eventually crack. The question of when is usually connected to how n\much the frame was ridden within it's intended use parameters, and also on how much the frame was stressed by load. In other words, the heavier you are, the more stress you are going to put on the frame.

I learned my lesson about frame sizing too.....for several years I tried to ride a medium frame, when in reality I need a large frame, in order to not have to expose too much seatpost out of the seat tube. I thjought running a 410 mm post would compensate but it doesn't......at least for very long. I cracked two frames at the seat tube top tup junction, and I replaced both with a large in the same models, and they are still going strong.

I used to figure that a medium frame would be lighter than a large frame in the same model, which is true, but it took me a couple of breaks to figure out that a bit of weight savings is not worth forcing a bike too short/low to fit me. Plus, riding a bike with the correct frame size for you just feels so much better.
    Live and learn.
    Re-Cycled Person who rides a mountain bicycle.