Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

will a clydsdale break a Jamis?

903 views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  mtnbiker72 
#1 ·
Quick question....am thinking about buying a XAM (the cheaper one). Will it take a 260lb clydsdale or will it blow a gasket in the rear suspension? Boooooommmmmmm!

#3 ·
That will change over time.

Initially I am sure that I will be very conservative...as I get stronger and more confident (and prolly a lot lighter) I expect I will become a little more adventurous and will try those jumps, etc.

For now, it is crank, crank, crank up the hills and enjoy a quick, but safe run back down....

#4 ·
Every bike is going to break eventually, it's just yours will break a bit sooner. I would probably go with coil suspension over air. I know there a bit more pricey and heavy but maybe the Diablo 1.0 just to be safe.
Probably get a better answer from one of the guys that work for Jamis.

#6 ·
My experience at 6'4", 225# (originally 255#). I'm on an '04 Dakar Sport and have broken the following:
- drive-side chainstay (apparently a common issue with the '04s)
- a linkage bolt blew-up/fell out
- cracked headtube

This was all in the last 9 months after 2 years of XC riding, nothing too crazy in terms of jumps/drops. The XAM looks a lot beefier and should hold up, but the question for us clydes seems to be "when" not "if" a bike will break.

Jamis has come through with warranty replacements for me, so I have to give them props (although the frame they sent out after the headtube break is a Dakar Comp with the weird crossbrace between the seatstays that limits you with larger tires :().

#7 ·
I ride a 2005 XLT (which the XAM is replacing) and weigh 230lbs. I do all mountain riding including small <3 foot drops and some jumping to transition. No problems at all so far, know there was some swingarm problems in 2004 and early 2005 but I also know Jamis has covered those with no problems. I would think that a XAM, with its DHX rear shock, would be plenty adequate for you.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.