mtbr member
    Nov 2005

Weighed the 2012 Dragon 29 Sport

2012 Jamis Dragon 29 Sport in size 19" weighs 33 pounds on the nose without pedals.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Wow! That's only a pound less than my Parker. Not good.
    I get my boards at Lux-RC.com

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    same weight as my xam...

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by chelboed View Post
    Wow! That's only a pound less than my Parker. Not good.
    It's a steel 29er for only $1300....a little over 30 lbs for a steel frame with big wheels at the that price is really quite reasonable. For what it's worth, they feel pretty nimble and responsive on the trail....they ride lighter than they are.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Any hardtail made for general trail riding and XC for $1300 should not weigh 33lbs. BTW, 33lbs is not "a little over 30#" in the bike world. It takes alot of money to lose a pound on a bike. I mean good grief, man...a stock Komodo is only 33#. That's a $750 freeride hardtail with big wire-bead meats and heavy lower end parts.

Jamis states the D29s as only 31#...I wouldn't expect it to weigh 33.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    I just weighed a 17" and it came it at 31 lbs 6oz with pedals...a little better than 33 lbs. Did the 19" have anything else on it? (seat bag, cage, etc...?) Either way, I don't really understand your comparison to the Komodo....regardless of price point it has smaller wheels, smaller tires, smaller fork, smaller frame, and is made of Aluminum instead of steel. The 2011 Komodo weighed in at 33 lbs, 4 oz...so the dragon is still 2 lbs lighter . Is it a light weight race bike? Of course not, it is a all day steel bike. It is pretty consistant with what a steel bike weighs in that price range. Raleigh's
    XXIX+g costs $1600 and tips the scales just over 30 lbs......Steel + Big Wheels + Steel Bead Tires = not so light....but regardless of weight it is a reynolds steel frame 29er that trucks over the trail like nobodies business. I don't know if you have ridden one or not, but my brother owns a 2011 and I have plenty of saddle time in. All in all, it is just a fun bike that feels balanced on the trail. The only time either of us notices it is over 30lbs is when we throw it on the roof rack.

Regardless....the Dragon's sports weight is right in line with the industry for its price and frame material....and it rides wonderfully.

As a last point, I also just don't get the comparison to your parker....which retails for more than double the dragon sport. If you compare at the same price point, the $2700 Dragon 29er from Jamis weights in at only 26.5 lbs. It's like complaining that the Mitsubishi lancer for 15k isn't as fast as the Lancer evolution for 30k.....does not compute.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    I think the comparison is...why would a 29'er xc bike (steel or other) weigh the same as a freeride hardtail?

Comparable 29'er wheels and 26'er wheels aren't too far off in weight. A good reputable frame builder should be able to build a good XC steel frame light enough to be fairly close to the weight of an aluminum frame.

It's like saying...whoahhh...my Nissan Sentra weighs 6k lbs. Then I'd say...yikes...you can get a Shortbed Ram that weighs the same.

I'm basically saying that an overbuilt burly as crap freeride hardtail weighs 33lbs.

Now what's the Dragon's excuse? It's not overbuilt nor burly. Steel shouldn't weigh "that much" more.

Jamis has chosen to spec it with lower level heavy components to save money.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    I ride a Cannondale CAAD 9 roadbike with carbon fork. Previously I rode a GT Timberline steel frame with a Manitou fork and loved it over my other aluminum MTB with similar fork. I'm looking at a 11' Jamis Dragon 29 Sport, as a lower cost steel bike, instead of possibly better equipped aluminum Specialized or Cannondale. Can anyone on this thread support or discount my thoughts on this purchase? Should I look at the 2012 instead for an extra $200?

LQ - My LBS dealer is selling the bike for $1150 - which might have been the original MSRP - should I expect to get it for less assembled and ready to rock?

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Do you race? If so, I'd probably stick with a lighter/stiffer aluminum bike. I do not race, and recently sold my aluminum Cannondale on craigslist and bought a 2012 Jamis Dragon Sport. I am very pleased with my decision. The 520 steel is just so much more forgiving and comfortable than aluminum.
    As far as 2011 vs 2012, it looks like the 2011 has a Rock Shox coil spring. I'd take the Manitou Tower "air" spring on the 2012 any day. I was surprised how great this fork is. I don't have an opinion about the breakset...2011 brake set is Avid Juicy 3, 2012 is Elixer 1. Other than the fork and the breaks, the 2011 and 2012 seem pretty similar.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012

2011 Jamis Dragon Sport 29er - 2011 shock vs 2012 shock ($300 diff)

Thank you for your reply! It was exactly what I'm looking for, re: the bike! I can get the 2011 for $1050 now before tax, so I guess the fork in ? is a $300 difference (2012 - $1350). Is it more to do with the brand and model (created for Jamis) - Rock Shox vs Manitou or b/c it's coil spring vs air shock?

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    My 19" frame weighed in at 5 lb 7 oz. That's with seatpost collar and nothing else. I plan to get it well under 30 lbs with XT and stan's crest wheels and maybe a Suntour epicon fork.
    "Hard work never killed anybody, but why take a chance?"

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    It seems obvious that this bike is one of the heaviest XC hardtails at its price point. Still, what it deserves more is a comparison with other steel frame hardtails, yet there aren't many on the market around that price at all, certainly not over here in EU. As for me, I cannot provide the actual data, but after several hours of riding the 2012 version I can only say that it doesn't feel heavier than my previous bike - 2005 entry level Stumpy FSR - and that is pretty much all I need. So I guess the bike may go on a diet somewhere down the road (tires must go), but for now, and considering my 200lbs shape, I don't feel like worrying too much about gear weight.

What some could find as more of a downside is the geometry. Fairly short (if not the shortest you can find) wheelbase definitely results in less stable and palpably more bouncy ride in certain faster and "wavy" sections and, most of all, in climbs where it's difficult to keep the front wheel in straight line, so perhaps more weight shifting is necessary. One other impression, however, was how painless the transition from 100mm full suspension back to hardtail was for me. 29 inches must have helped, but that level of smoothness just wasn't there when briefly test-riding a similarly priced (and fairly lighter, I assume) aluminium Cannondale Trail SL 29er. Weight/comfort trade-off is what it always is with steel frames, they say.
    Last edited by nimm_zwei; 05-08-2012 at 10:11 AM.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    I had a Gary Fisher Ferrous 29er that MSRP was just under $2,000 and it weighed about 30 pounds stock. My guess is with the right combo of tubeless wheels and tires you would be sub 30 pounds and only a couple hundred bucks lighter in the wallet. 17.5 frame weight was about 5.5 pounds with an EBB.

Jamis has a real winner in the Dragon 26 and 29, I just wish there was more dealers around to sell them.