mtbr member
    Aug 2006

Warranty Frustration, split from other thread.

I am slightly frustrated myself about my warranty claim I just put through Jamis. I bought an '05 XLT 2.0 from Jenson brand new less than a month ago and on my first ride the bearing in the seatstay (where it connects to the shock pivot) completely destroyed itself. Well, when it went it marred up the seatstay paint and slightly bent the mounting surface on the upper seatstay. Then to compound the issue the inner race on the bearing fell out, making it impossible to press out. Jamis suggested heating it up in the oven, that did not work and I was at a loss as to how to get the bearing out, the LBS did not know either.

I do not know if it was Jamis, or the LBS I had to go through for warranty support, who dropped the ball, but all that Jamis decided to cover under warranty was the bearings. This seems somewhat lame to me, I did not want a one ride old bike with a messed up paint job and a stuck bearing that neither me nor the LBS can get out in which to put a new bearing. So I was forced to buy a new seatstay at full price, the replacement bearings they supposedly sent are worthless to me too because the ordeal left such a bad taste in my mouth over the stock bearings I ordered a new kit from Enduro anyway. All in all I love the bike, but a discount on the seatstay would seem to be a minimum for warranty work and honestly with the nature of the problem and being that it was on the first ride and the bearing failure damaged the frame as well I would have been much happier had they just sent out a new stay.

Blake

Pics:

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    Update: Well it looks like there was some miscomunication in this process. The original woman I talked to at Jamis told me I needed to go to a LBS for my warranty work even though I had purchased the bike online. This turned out to be wrong. I talked to Ken S. at Jamis yesterday and he informed me that the warranty claim should have been sent through Jenson USA. Ken was very informative and notified me that the new seatstay I ordered had been at the LBS for a week (they never called and when I talked to them, after it had arrived, they said they were stil waiting). I am going in today to pick it up. I will still be paying $100 for the seatstay but the bike will be on the trail again this weekend at least.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    I had that happen to me...Jenson was going to take care of it all. I ended up using a Dremel and cutting the race out. Problem fixed.

mtbr member
    You can remove that race with some patience. Support the stay so you can access the race thru the hole. Use a large flat blade screw driver and hammer it out alternating the strikes from side to side. It will pop out.