mtbr member
    Sep 2007

Warranty Clarification

My LBS didn't have a clear answer for me so I figured here would be the next best place to ask since I know we've got a few guys from Jamis on here.

bike in question is an '11 Dragon 29er. Thus far I love the bike, but have bent the derailleur hanger twice already. For those that aren't aware the derailleur hanger is not replaceable on this particular model. My concern is that if I break the hanger off then I've got a junk frame.

With this concern I went looking for answers. First stop was my LBS, but they didn't help much so then I proceeded to the Jamis website and it states in their warranty FAQ that a broken derailleur hanger is not covered under warranty. Are they referring to replaceable hangers or all hangers in general.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I'd hate to know that eventually my hanger is going to break off and then I'm stuck without a bike.

- Tyler

What?
    Im sure that a broken hanger that is not replaceable would be covered under the frame warranty. The reason Jamis put that on their website is because people try to get replaceable hangers covered fairly often.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    That's what I assumed as well but was hoping someone at Jamis would give an affirmative answer.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    They'll cover that...surely. If not...time to go SS / 2speed w hammerschmidt / Alfine / or Rohloff.
    I get my boards at Lux-RC.com

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    I know this is an old thread, but I had this same problem. Bent the hanger once before, not even sure how, and then I bent it massively a second time (not sure how this time, either). Looks like it's not covered. I adore this bike, but it's probably the last I'll buy from Jamis after this.

Here is my response from Jamis:

Thank you for your inquiry to JAMIS BICYCLES dated September 17, 2012 regarding the issue that you have had with the rear derailleur hanger of the Dragon 29 Race. We must inform you that the derailleur hanger of the Dragon 29 Race is not covered under warranty. If the dealer was to have a technician attempt to repair and the derailleur hanger failed, me may be able to provide partial support by allowing you to purchase a replacement frame under our Crash Replacement policy. Our Crash Replacement Program allows first owners of our product included in an accident or incident to purchase a replacement frame at a considerable discount below MSRP. If you are the first owner of the bicycle with your original receipt of purchase you may be eligible to benefit from this program in the event that you require a replacement frame. We wish you luck with the repair and hope that you are able to resume riding again in the near future while on board the Dragon 29 Race. If you have any other questions feel free to contact us again.

Yours very truly,
    JAMIS SUPPORT

mtbr member
    Interesting, though I can't say I'm surprised. After all it is the result of a crash, or crash-like event, not a frame defect. If you hit a tree and dented the top tube you wouldnt expect it to be covered via straight warranty.

From the Jamis website FAQ:

Is my derailleur hanger covered under warranty if it breaks?
    In case of your derailleur hanger breaking, it is not covered under the warranty.

I crashed and damaged my JAMIS frame. Does JAMIS have a crash replacement policy?
    There is a crash replacement policy on JAMIS Bicycles offering 25% off the MSRP pricing for consumers.

That being said, a replaceable derailleur hanger should be part of all frames, steel included. That being said, during the 8 years I was a mechanic at a local shop, I'd seen a handful of broken replaceable derailleur hangers, and maybe two dozen slightly tweaked steel derailleur hangers, but all were fixable with the hanger straightening tool. I'd never seen a steel one bent so bad or fatigued that it had broken.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    I'm still waiting to see if my mechanic can get it bent back into shape, but it's bent pretty badly and already weakened from the previous time I bent it. I'd understand it if I really thrashed the bike, but the truth is I don't even know how it happened. Just seems like it'd make more sense for Jamis to put a replaceable hanger on this frame....

mtbr member
    Ahh, I was thinking of getting a steel frame Jamis bike next week. Didn't even think about the hanger not being replaceable. Looking through forums on the internet, this is a issue that comes up with steel frames, not just Jamis ones. Is this problem enough to scare people away from steel frames? Doesn't seem to be. Reading other places, unless it was bent severely, or a lot more times (I doubt 2 times would be enough) to weaken the steel where it wouldn't be safe to ride, I think you will be ok. Keep us posted what the mechanic says though.

mtbr member
    Most steel frames are not made with replaceable derailleur hangers because they can be bent back multiple times (within reason) without fatiguing the metal. Aluminum and carbon frames have replaceable hangers because they'd just snap when you try to bend them back.

A non-replaceable hanger on an aluminum or carbon bike would be a deal breaker, but on a steel frame its not a big deal. There will always be the exception that you'll break something beyond repair but that's life, especially with mountain biking.

Doesntplaywellwithmorons!
    Seriously... steel or titanium, you can bend them back. The absence of replaceable hangers, and the fact no manufacturer warranties hanger damage, would not turn myself, or I hope, any person with a reasonable sense of taking PERSONAL RESPONSIBILITY for one's actions... off buying a frame.
    I don't post to generate business for myself or make like I'm better than sliced bread