mtbr member

Caution;  Merge;  Workers Ahead! Want To Buy New Bike Help

hi i am trying to get a new bike for local trail riding and my local shop has the Jamis Durango 2.0 2007 model for $675.

then there's the forge 5xxx $299 target store with almost the same specs. what but would you go with whats the better bike?

i need a 19 inch frame

thanks
    Jason
    Attached Images Attached Images

KRISDALA BAKA!!!!!!!!!!!!
    The Jamis has a longer travel fork with lockout, and hydraulic brakes. Those are a couple things that jump right out. Not sure about the rest. The "Forge" website does not have a spec list. But I would be safe to assume the Jamis is a much better build.

And here's the biggest factor of all. How are the bike mechanics at Target? Are they well trained? And how is their service? Do they allow you to come in for regular tune-ups? Can they get you parts and part upgrades for your bike?

I'm using a little sarcasm here, but it is worth your consideration. My suggestion is get the Jamis through your local bike shop. You can test ride the bikes there and they will have expert answers to any questions you may have. They are the pro's and they will more than likely take very good care of you. Something you will not get from the box stores.

Welcome aboard! I hope you enjoy whatever bike you decide to go with. Have fun and stay safe.

Long Distance MTB
    The forge site (http://www.forgebikes.com/) does have specs.

For the money it may be the best bike out there. The Jamis has some better components, but is also costs more.

Don't worry about maintenance and tune ups, target does not make or preassemble the bike (Forge does that) and any local shop can do maintenance, it does not require magical tricks or special tools. You can do most of it yourself if are inclined to do it. It is the same for parts and upgrades, the are local shop and there is all those nice places to buy parts for less than in most shops (nashbar, pricepoint, amazon, etc.)

mtbr member

Jamis seems to give you the most for your money

if you take into account bike maintiance and having a dealer to advise you on set up and trails. THe relationship you have with your bike shop will make it easier to when you do buy an ocasional part online and want them to install it for you.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    I never rode the Forge but I "did" have a Durango until it got stolen. I now have a Trek 4500 and between the jamis and trek.... I'd take the jamis. JMO, but I'd go with the Jamis and establish a relationship with your bike shop like daisycutter said.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    My bro-in-law is riding a Durango that he bought last year from the LBS, so far he's been really happy with. It's a good value and a nice riding bike.