Thread: Upgrades?

mtbr member
    Aug 2007

Upgrades?

I just launched myself bak into the mtb world. As most people without an unlimmited budget, I shopped around and found a new 05 Jammis Dakar for only $450. This is the base model, however I did upgrade the brakes to Avid bb5's. I bought this on the understanding that the Dakar frames are all pretty much the same with the exception of the carbon chainstays on the upgraded models. I am looking foreward to uprading the rest of my compoents, but am new to the fs world. What I am interested in, I guess, would be the rear suspension. I have no clue as to which would be the best way to go. Any input would be greatly appreciated. BTW I ride mostly single tracks and cross country. Not many large hills in eastern FL.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    find a Fox RP3 shock.... thats all you will ever need

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    you think air shok over coil?

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    depends how heavy you are and what you are going to be doing with it.... i ride almost all XC type trails with some small jumps thrown in the mix and weight 200 lbs and i love the rp3 on my bike... i think if you are going to be downhilling, then a piggy- backed coiler would be the choice since you have more fluid volume and the shock can run cooler

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    thanks, that takes care of th rear, what do you think about the manitou splcer?

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    I dont know anything about the manitou splice fork. I have a Manitou Minute 1:00 fork and i really like.... especially for what it is.. a freeride/ trail fork.. and i have it wound down to 100mm travel on a XC bike. the platform damping is nice ..... a lot less bobbing when pedalling.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    J, I really appreciate your input and help, after I get my bike (here) and upgraded, I'll post a pic. Thanks.