mtbr member

New question here. thoughts on older model jamis dakar xc?

Hi all,

I was hoping to get opinions on older model (2008-2012) Jamis Dakar XC. This will be my first FS bike, and would rather not drop load of $ on a new bike. Ive found a few 2008, 2010 and 2012 dakar XC FSs on various classified pages. I realize the spec loadout will be varied as these are used bikes ( a few with upgrades) but the stock specs are as follows: 2008 Jamis Dakar XC - BikePedia

Would this be a good entry level bike? Im riding a hardtail right now and want something I can ride more aggressively, especially on those downhill sections. I know this is an xc bike. Just looking for opionins or advice!

Thanks!

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Hi,
    Just bought a new 2012 Dakar XC Comp for my girlfriend who's upgrading from a hardtail.
    If you're in Canada, the Canadian distributor RB Inc has some awesome deals (I paid 1039$ but saw they lowered the price to 899 $).
    Check Pinkbike classifieds to find them.

Frame looks solid, but I wouldn't use this bike for too aggressive riding (only has 90mm rear travel).
    The Flandrien in Qubec...

12 Santa Cruz SuperLight
    00 Trek 7000 SS winter bike

mtbr member
    I have a 2006 Daxar xc pro.. I like it.. Good shock- Fox float rp3, Good brakes- Avid bb7 I found the geometry a bit different then what I was use to(Trek Hard tails). My trek climbed better, but I am riding a lot of technical stuff and at my old age FS is a must. Would it make a good entry level bike? Sure depending on condition and specs.. I think it will be a bit hard to comment much more until you've settled on a model and a year.
    When you've seen someone rupture their scrotum on a bike you won't take the standards for top tube clearance lightly!