mtbr member

Thinking of buying a Jamis

I am in the market for a 29er in the next month once I have all my $$ saved up, and it appears Jamis seems give people the best bang for the buck on a bike you can still buy at a LBS.

Anybody here have any experience with the Jamis Exile Comp, or the Dragon 29 Sport?

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    I have a 2011 Dragon 29 Sport and love it. It has proved durable and has stood up to lots of abuse without any issues. Eventually I upgraded the wheels to a set of Stan's and that helped to drop some weight. It's not the lightest or the fanciest bike, but it continues to provide miles of smiles over & over again.

I never demo'ed the Exile, I like the feel & ride of a steel frame over aluminium, but that's just personal preference.

mtbr member
    Thanks. It can't be any heavier than my current bike. 2006 Iron Horse Warrior Team SE.

mtbr member
    I have a 2012 Dragon 29 Sport and love it. Catalog weight is 31lbs, but it seems to ride lighter than that. I swapped out the heavy stock pedals for XT clipless, the saddle (which was also quite heavy) for a Flite, and lowered the bars with a Haven 100mm 0 stem. These changes dropped the weight over a pound on the bathroom scale.

The X7 components work well for the price range, and the Tower Expert fork is very nice and plush, though a bit heavy. If you do decide to go for one, try to find a '12 as the '13s got a spec downgrade. I had looked for a hardtail 29er for months, but was turned off by a lot of the garish graphics on many of the big company bikes, this one looked nice and classic and combined with the steel frame and components I was sold. Only gripe I have is that like a black car, it seems to get dirty as soon as you wash it!

Here it is in current form, next season I may upgrade the wheels and tires, but I'm happy with it for now.

Last edited by breckenridge; 09-14-2012 at 01:45 PM.

mtbr member
    What price did you pay for that when you bought it? Just wondering what they go for retail wise.

mtbr member
    I had to special order it from my local bike shop, they'd only do MSRP for special orders, which was $1,350. I like supporting them so I didn't mind, even though I could have gotten a big discount on a Trek, Cannondale, or GT from a friend at another shop. If there are still '12s available you should be able to get them at a decent markdown by now.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    My LBS sold me a leftover 2011 for exactly $1000 in Feb 2012 and they they in a few small accessories like bottle cage, etc... I thought that was a very fair price so did not try to haggle. The 2013's should be arriving very soon so maybe you can get a similar discount on a 2012 bike.

What?
    Try to get a 2012 dragon sport. Best bang for your buck you will find. The 2013 comes with a major fork downgrade. Going from one of the better forks out to one of the lowest end forks in one year. Hopefully they still have one available.

mtbr member
    Yeah, I am trying get the 2012 model for sure.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    2012 Dragon Sports are still available as of this morning
    "Never shall innocent blood be shed. Yet the blood of the wicked shall flow like a river. The three shall spread their blackened wings and be the vengeful striking hammer of god."

mtbr member
    Yulp, guy at the bike shop let me know he would have one for me to test ride on the 28th. Have to go about 2.5 hours away since nobody in my city carries Jamis bikes. Will be a 2012.

mtbr member
    I recently got my wife a '12 Exile Comp. It's a nice bike and a good value. The SRAM X5/X7 mix is reasonably good, and the low stand-over on the 15" frame was a big selling point for her. On the down side, the fork may leave something to be desired. Overall, she's very happy with it.

Since taking the photo, I lowered the already-flipped stem and swapped the bars to get the bars within 1" of the saddle height. IMO, the 100mm fork on a small 29er like this is too much, an 80mm fork would allow for a more sane bar height. It's the one in the back.

Dave
    Blog / Strava

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mullen119 View Post
    Try to get a 2012 dragon sport. Best bang for your buck you will find. The 2013 comes with a major fork downgrade. Going from one of the better forks out to one of the lowest end forks in one year. Hopefully they still have one available.
    Very true. I have the 2011 and have not been happy with the Tora fork. I ended up swapping it for a full rigid setup. The 2012 seems to be the best specked of the recent models.
    He who dares....wins!

mtbr member
    Yeah, I am looking forward to it despite the wreck I had yesterday on my current bike. Buddy I was riding with made the comment that if I had a better fork, I most likely wouldn't' have wrecked, so I think the 2012 has the best fork out of the 2011-2013 models.

mtbr member
    Good luck with the test ride, what size are you looking at? Mine is a 17", you can see where I have the saddle/bars and its perfect for me at 5'11", 32" inseam.

mtbr member
    17 is what I am going for. I am 5'10'' with a 33 inch inseam. My current bike is a 17.5...so I think its the right size from my research. 19 will be to big.

mtbr member
    Well, I bought a Jamis today. Ended up getting the Exile Race. Got a super good deal on it!!!

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    I would love to hear about your experience with Jamis once you start riding it!

do you mind if I ask how much you bought it for?

thanks,

mtbr member
    I love it. Do you have any specific questions about it?

Paid $1250. With MSRP being close to $1600 on that, I think I got a fine deal on it.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    I have not purchased or rode a bike in over 12 years.

I am trying to compare everything and get the best one for what I can accord.

looking at 2013 comp ($650 so far) and Dragon Sport ($850 so far).

what do you think about them in general and prices I've been given so far?

Only advice I have been given so far is stay away from Suntour stuff.

mtbr member
    Yeah, stay away from RST and Suntour stuff. The Race model they didn't make for 2013. It was triple butted aluminum. The Comp is only double butted. Don't know how that would compare to mine other than slightly heavier. I don't have the Comp specs in front of me for 2013, but hopefully they didn't downgrade anything this year. I know the '12 was all x5 drivetrain. As far as the dragon, I know it got a spec downgrade from the '12 model I tried. I liked the Steel frame, but it was heavier than the Exile Race I ended up going with. The non replaceable derailleur hanger was kind of a turn off after having watched two friends mess theirs up over the summer. Go with what fits you better I say. If both feel ok, start comparing weight, components, and of course price.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by JasonScottCarter View Post
    Yeah, stay away from RST and Suntour stuff. The Race model they didn't make for 2013. It was triple butted aluminum. The Comp is only double butted. Don't know how that would compare to mine other than slightly heavier. I don't have the Comp specs in front of me for 2013, but hopefully they didn't downgrade anything this year. I know the '12 was all x5 drivetrain. As far as the dragon, I know it got a spec downgrade from the '12 model I tried. I liked the Steel frame, but it was heavier than the Exile Race I ended up going with. The non replaceable derailleur hanger was kind of a turn off after having watched two friends mess theirs up over the summer. Go with what fits you better I say. If both feel ok, start comparing weight, components, and of course price.
    So you ended up buying the 12'Exile Race?

What are your thoughts on it?

Why did you go for the Race vs the Comp?

You also mentioned that the derailers cannot be replaced? Is this common?

so if they broke, you'd have to buy a new frame again?

Thanks,

mtbr member
    Yeah, got the 2012 Race model.

I really like it. The frame is light since it's triple butted aluminum. Drivetrain has good Shimano components (SLX). Good RockShox fork on it as well. Climbs good and has been able to take anything I have thrown at it. I used it for cyclecross today even.

I went with the Race over the Comp because the fork is better, and the drivetrain components are better. Also, its about 3.5 pounds lighter since it's triple butted aluminum over the double on the comp. I also had the extra money for the race as well, so no real hit to my budget.

Yes, the dragon is a steel frame, and the hanger is non-replaceable. A lot of people ride steel frame bikes with no problem though. They can be bent back into alignment with a tool, but my research told me that after that has to be done a lot, the steel gets weakened. Having a non-replacable hanger is a no big deal for a lot of people, but for me, I had friends that have had hanger problems this year, and I just wanted to the comfort of knowing I could replace something and no possibly deal with trying to bend it back into shape if something happened. Aluminum and carbon bikes use replaceable hangers. Only steel frame bikes is the hanger built into the frame. If you messed it up really bad you would have to get a new frame, possibly through the discount Jamis would offer for a wrecked frame, or if you have a bike shop that can do metal work, they could cut the drop outs off, and weld on a new one. It's a matter of personal preference. I liked the way the Dragon rode, but the race was lighter and better components.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Love my Dragon. Beware the sizing! I usually ride a 15 but 13 was the right size for me on the Dragon.