mtbr member
    Apr 2007

Stem suggestions for Jamis Dakar XLT 2.0?

Sorry, I posted this same question about 6 months ago but I can't find the thread now. Yes, I did a search. Apparently they clear out old threads on this forum.

Can you all suggest a stem for my Jamis Dakar XLT.

I'm using the stock stem with Answer Pro Taper OS bars.

Basically, I feel like my back is stretched out too far forward and my body is too far forward over the front wheel.

I feel like I need a slack(er) stem but I don't want to go with something too DH/Free ride since I still want the bike to be an effective peddler.

Like I said, I've posted this same question before and got good replies but now I can't find the thread.

My bike is a 19 inch.

I am around 6 feet tall and weigh around 190.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    The stock stem should be 100mm ,so I would go to a 90mm or 85mm. Just buy a cheapy until you work out what length is good. That way you don't waste heaps of money if its not quite right.
    Other option is to get yourself measured up and work it out from there.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    OK. That sounds like a good plan. I'd go into a bike shop but we just lost the only bike shop worth going to in my area.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Does anyone know the diameter of the steering tube for the Minute fork that comes stock on the Dakar XLT?

Is it 1 1/8 or 1.5?

I'm living the dream!
    It's 1-1/8. I'm 6'0 also and I ran a 90mm with a 10 degree rise stem on my 19" XLT and that felt very comfortable to me. Good luck.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    I run a Thomson 90mm x 0 degree with Easton EA70 HiRise 2" rise bars. I love it, but I'd say you may want an 80-85mm x 10 degree to get you more upright. Or you may think about an 80-85mm with 2" rise bars.