'aua e te fati
    Jul 2006

Steerer Tube length on XLT? How much is too much?

I just got my Rp23 for my XLT and I threw my Minute :03 on just to see what everything was going to look like. After doing that, I discovered that the head tube on my XC Expert (the one the minute was cut to fit) is much longer than that of my XLT. In fact, I don't even have enough spacers (almost 2" already) to make it seat right with the stem/top cap. I am going to have to cut it and reset the star nut.

I am 6'1" and I wear a 34/35 dress shirt (just so you have an idea about how long my arms are). Also, another measurement of note is my seatpost. The stock 350mm was way too short, and I am running a 410mm Thomson, about 55mm off of full extension (I have about a 33" inseam). I loved the way my set up was on my Expert, but I was running almost a 230mm steerer tube with a 140mm head tube. The XLT has a 120mm head tube. I don't like a super hunched over stance, but I don't want to be at 90deg from the seat either.

So the problem I suppose is that I want a similar if not identical fit with regard to the seat height (which won't change because the crankarm length and BB height are the same on both bikes) and where the bars are, but with 20mm less headtube and 20mm more spacers. That seems excessive, and I have heard people suggest that you don't go over about 11/2" of spacers.

Any suggestions? What are you guys with XLTs running, and what are your height/arm length measurements? Also how bad is the uphill wander with the slack headtube and a 130mm fork (if you have experience)?

Thanks

By the way, the new black frame looks killer with everything else black. It's like the swat bike. All I am waiting on is my new crankset and I'll be riding it. Pics to follow.
    Last edited by matamua; 07-30-2007 at 05:45 PM.

'aua e te fati
    Jul 2006
    31 views and no posts?

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Patience matamua...your answer will come when the mood and planets are aligned.

I run 30mm of spacer under a Thomson X4 stem.

'aua e te fati
    Jul 2006
    Thanks!

mtbr member

very subjective....

When I first got my XLT, I used a RS Psylo Race (w/ easton EA50 stem) that had a *just* long enough steerer. Then I too got a new minute :03 and now run it with about 30mm of spacers between the top of the headtube and the bottom of the stem (Thompson) and about 10mm of spacers ABOVE the stem (just in case...).

So, in summary, I have NO idea what the answer is to your question.

BUT, now with a bit more spacers between the HT and stem, I'm a little more upright and have a bit less fatigue....

Both set ups work fine. You want pictures of both?

EDIT: I am about 6'1" with about a 33" inseam and 34" arms. So I ride a 19" XLT, which has a good TT fit for me.
    Last edited by yogidave; 08-02-2007 at 03:31 PM.

'aua e te fati
    Jul 2006
    Yogidave,

Thanks alot for your input, I would love pics if you've got em.

I think that I will probably be cutting it down to about 30-35mm of spacers (possibly a little more) when I get home from my vacation. I was going to take my XLT, which is why my posts earlier seemed impatient. I was finishing finals and trying to put my XLT together before I left. Because my new cranks didn't make it in time, I took my dad's stumpjumper. I am looking forward to putting everything together when I get home. Thanks again for the input. I will post pics when it is done.