Doesntplaywellwithmorons!

So I just realized where the XCR design was taken from...

Its the Mountain Cycles Zen from 2005, recycled as a Jamis model for 2007. Hell even the frame weights are virtually identical... and Mountain Cycles were made by Kinesis at the time, and kinesis is who makes Jamis bikes.

See THIS for other pics.
    I don't post to generate business for myself or make like I'm better than sliced bread

Former Bike Wrench
    The one difference is that the Jamis uses a seatstay pivot...the Zen has no pivot near the rear dropouts.

The silver swing link is also reversed on the Jamis, they needed to flip it to fit a longer shock in. Still... I can just see the guys at Kinesis going "what do we do with these frame designs/jigs while Mountain Cycles is re-organised?" "oh we'll offer the design to Jamis..."
    I don't post to generate business for myself or make like I'm better than sliced bread

Former Bike Wrench
    I'm sure there was some "sharing" involved there...no doubt about that

At least there was a couple changes... not like other Kinesis manufactured brands where the frame jigs are identical, the only changes end up being the shock spec'ed, the paint, and at most, whether its 6061 or 7005 tubing used.
    Last edited by DeeEight; 05-12-2007 at 07:43 AM.

anyone else smell that?
    hope that is a good frame up there....mine should be here thursday.

mtbr member

while the frame is very silmilar in design

well okay near identical it looks like there are a few tweaks here and there on the frame. The reviews were stellar for this frame check out the ratings. I for one, am happy with my purchase.

http://www.mtbr.com/reviews/xc_full_...t_124215.shtml

the goose is loose!
    there has been a thread like this before. from what i remember the only similarity is the general shape and the fact that they both use a 1.125" head tube. and that little strut to brace the down tube and seat tube. pivots are in different locations, tubes are butted differently, angles are different, and if the angles are different, the same jig cannot be used, therefore it is not mountain cycle's design. according to Jamis, they completely engineered the frame on their own, and contracted Kinesis to produce it.

mtbr member

dude there is nothing worng

with useing that frame design. I am sure they made adjustments to make it better but you cannot tell me it is a completily different frame. true it is not the same frame but it is dam close. That said I am buying the dakar xcr pro bike. I think the bike rocks. Hell Turner and Kone have been selling the same frame with minor adjustments each year for years. SAamall adjustments came make a huge difference.

the goose is loose!
    people here are sating that kinesis handed over the jig from the mountain cycle frame to jamis. not true. i guess specialized took a kona frame and moved the pivot for their new enduro.