KB1LQC

Singlespeed 2005 Jamis Durango Sport SX

Here is my project for this bike this season, hopefully it will stay. I wanted to go singlespeed to give it a try, didnt wanna spend much of any money at all, and hell i needed to replace the casset so I figured now was the best time!
    This is my 2005 Jamis Durango Sport SX which I converted to SS and has worked really good. most of the parts are stock except the stem, chain, pedals, grips, rear tire, and ss modification. I really did this modification for no cost at all!

In the first picture that is the full bike as it now looks. pretty straightforeward... gotta love the grips haha ! in the second picture you can see the drivetrain while the bike was on the stand in the garage. The third picture shows you the drivetrain with the shimano Deor derailiur as the tensioner. I took all the shifting cables and housing out because they were not needed. Finally the last picture shows the chainline and you can see the old casset spacers I used to space the cog... it is an old casset cog but i have access (LBS employee) to a million old cassets so if it wears out quick ill just replace it. I could use PVC to space it as well.
    I foudn that the trickiest part is getting the limit set on the derailiur to keep it in place. I have managed to get it pretty unmovable but there is still a littel play but after a quick check and readjustment it hasnt jumped off. you can see the third gear on the outside of the crank but do not have a front derailiur so it is unusable... at least easily. I hope to mabye replace it with a bashring when I get a chance, i did pull out the granny gear too.
    The current gearing is 32:20 so not the standard 2:1 (32:16) because i had it set up with only two gears to find what I liked better and since i ride mainly technical singletrack with many many many hills i found the 20T to be the best... the 16 was just way to much for the sustained ride.
    I am slowely building up a, urban/DJ bike and am slowly ebaying parts for it. I just won a whole set of F/R Avid BB7's at a killer price (just over the price of one caliper! this is the whole pacage! haha) and will mount those when they come in of the Jamis and ill gladly take the shimano Deor integrated shifter/brakes off. I'll put on the Avid brake levers in their place.
    The coolest thing about this is I can revert the whole bike back in a few hours so its pretty reversable. it's been a great way so far to get a taste of SS and if anyone has any questions feel free to ask... i might have a few myself haha!

Thought you'd enjoy the project!
    Bryce
    Bryce S.

Rochester Institute of Technology (RIT)
    Electrical Engineering 2012!

KB1LQC

Full Picture

Deor derailliur as the chain tensioner

Chain line with spacers in view of the odification W/ 20T casset cog

Enjoy!
    Bryce S.

KB1LQC

PICTURES!!! Finally!

A view of the whole bike!

Using the Shimano Deor derailliur as a chain tensioner... simple yet effective!

A view of the chain and the cog. Notice the spacers from old used cassetts!
    Bryce S.