Page 36 of 45 FirstFirst ... 26 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 ... LastLast
    mtbr member
    Thanks! And it rides even better than it looks!

I posted a short review of it last week in the 650b forum, but forgot to put it up here:

'Took my Dragon out for her first trail ride this morning and got her all dusty - trails are all nice and dry.

All I can say is: 650b works for me. Full on. I can see myself on this bike for a long, long time. I think that what's so shocking about the wheelsize is how really unsurprising the ride is. The bike felt exactly like all my other hardtails when leaning into turns, pumping the trail, or accelerating out of berms. But up the short, bursty climbs criss-crossed with roots I found that I didn't even have to pick a line but just keep pedaling up and over stuff.

650b's just do what they claim to do. I'm all in.'

Take one for a test ride if you can. I love mine.
    All mountain bikes are all-mountain bikes.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Here's my vintage Jamis Explorer - a recent thrift store find. I think it is a 1986 model, but not certain. 4130 chromoly frame, Araya alloy rims, Sakae Oval Tech alloy crankset, alloy stem, 6061 T6 heat treated aluminum handlebars. The Specialized skinwall tires are dry and need to be replaced, but otherwise it's in pretty decent original condition for a bike that apparently sat unused for quite a while.

Just after picking it up:

After a bit of cleaning and lubrication...

Last edited by gshelley61; 06-28-2012 at 06:52 PM.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by pedalmunky View Post
    I'll post a ride report once I actually take her on a trail, but for now, pics!

photo(2) by paulignacio13, on Flickr

photo(4) by paulignacio13, on Flickr
    Oh holy crap. Gotta have it!
    I get my boards at Lux-RC.com

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by pedalmunky View Post
    Thanks! And it rides even better than it looks!

I posted a short review of it last week in the 650b forum, but forgot to put it up here:

'Took my Dragon out for her first trail ride this morning and got her all dusty - trails are all nice and dry.

All I can say is: 650b works for me. Full on. I can see myself on this bike for a long, long time. I think that what's so shocking about the wheelsize is how really unsurprising the ride is. The bike felt exactly like all my other hardtails when leaning into turns, pumping the trail, or accelerating out of berms. But up the short, bursty climbs criss-crossed with roots I found that I didn't even have to pick a line but just keep pedaling up and over stuff.

650b's just do what they claim to do. I'm all in.'

Take one for a test ride if you can. I love mine.

Have you spent much time on 26 & 29 to compare them?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by chelboed View Post
    Have you spent much time on 26 & 29 to compare them?
    I guess in the interests of full disclosure I should admit that I've never owned a 29er. I did once build up a frankenbike 69er as a parts-bin city bike which I've taken to the local trails a couple of times for fun, but otherwise all my mountain bikes have been 26's. I've had xc hardtails, full-sus freeride and trail bikes, and dirt jumpers. I know how I want my bike to feel like on dirt, and the Dragon feels pretty much like the other rides I've owned and loved. On my first ride I knew how far I can lean into a turn, the braking points felt the same, and I was able to pump and flick the bike at will.

Which simply wasn't the case with the couple of times I swapped rides with a friend's 29er just to try the wheelsize out. It rolled up and over everything and motored on the long straightaways but it just handled too differently for me. I felt like I had to brake earlier and turn later in the apex. I didn't carve so much as steer the bike. To be honest, I usually ended up swapping back for my old bike at the next trailhead.

I don't hate on the wheelsize, though. I know lots of people way way faster than me on 29ers (they also happen to be taller and much more fit as well). They've got their place, just as 26's have theirs. But like many others, I'm learning that 650b's belong as well.
    All mountain bikes are all-mountain bikes.

mtbr member
    Feb 2005

Another Dragon ready to hatch!

Going to see what all this 29er stuff is about.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Show us your Jamis!-dscf0427.jpg  

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Just picked it up today, 2012 Durango Comp. Can't wait to hit the trails this weekend!
    (And yes, I removed the reflectors right after taking these pics)

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Nicely done.

mtbr member
    Feb 2005

29er Done!

Got it put together on Saturday, my first 29er and compared to the 26er it feels much more stable but not less maneuverable. Component-wise its all new to me, wide bar, disc brakes, a fork lockout, triggers...should be fun.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012

Rear Shock Upgrade for 03' Dakar XLT 1.0 ??

I've got a 2003 Jamis Dakar XLT 1.0 with a 2003 Fox Float RL (coilover) with 5.5" of travel.

What compatible rear shocks could I possibly upgrade to, or should I just stick with the one I've got?

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    I'd love to show my new Jamis, but I need 10 posts.... lurking not working.

mtbr member
    New here to the forum, I special ordered a 2012 Jamis Dragon 29 Sport from my LBS, first mountain bike after a 10 year break from xc riding/racing (I've been road riding since).

It is bone stock at the moment, but I've been loving it. Stock platform pedals and saddle will be going soon, other than that I plan to leave it as is (for this season). My last mountain bikes were circa '97-'00 full XTR aluminum-framed XC race bikes, so this modern, steel 29er is a bit of a change, but a good one.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Welcome back. A lot has changed in 10 yrs. Bikes are better for sure. More comfortable, smoother, better traction, better drive trains, etc...

Trail design has gotten better too. We've learned tons about sustainable trail design, what works, what's fun, yada.

Nice ride!

Sent from my daggum phone because I have no life.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Yay! 10 posts. Here's my Jamis Dragon Pro. Got it for $850 out the door from a shop going out of business. Was looking to replace my aging hardtail w/ a newer frame when I stumbled into this deal. Have been on a couple of rides with it now and it's everything I wanted in a hardtail. Climbs like a billy-goat (with 200 lbs strapped to it's back) and slices up the singletrack!

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    That's a heck of a deal, dude!

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    That's a heck of a deal, dude!

Yep. If I didn't buy it my buddy was going to grab it and part it out. He would have made a killing.

mtbr member
    Welcome back. A lot has changed in 10 yrs. Bikes are better for sure. More comfortable, smoother, better traction, better drive trains, etc...

Trail design has gotten better too. We've learned tons about sustainable trail design, what works, what's fun, yada.

Nice ride!

Thank you. Yes, a lot sure has changed since then. When I first started racing v-brakes were new and most forks had 50mm travel I hadn't been entirely out of the loop as some friends still work at the LBS I used to wrench at, but I wasn't paying close attention either. Almost got into it last year but time seemed to run out, I am happy I finally did.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by breckenridge View Post
    Thank you. Yes, a lot sure has changed since then. When I first started racing v-brakes were new and most forks had 50mm travel
    The good old days! When I started racing back in '88 forks had no travel, everyone used actual toe-clips, bikes had cantilevers or u-brakes! We've come a loooong way! Remember "Bio-Pace"?

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by breckenridge View Post
    New here to the forum, I special ordered a 2012 Jamis Dragon 29 Sport from my LBS, first mountain bike after a 10 year break from xc riding/racing (I've been road riding since).

It is bone stock at the moment, but I've been loving it. Stock platform pedals and saddle will be going soon, other than that I plan to leave it as is (for this season). My last mountain bikes were circa '97-'00 full XTR aluminum-framed XC race bikes, so this modern, steel 29er is a bit of a change, but a good one.

Thats a nice, clean looking bike! welcome back to the sandbox!

mtbr member
    Thank you! I had been looking around and researching for a few months, and it was the simple classic look of the Dragon that hooked me, plus a good spec for the price point. I don't care for a lot of the flashy, 'motocross' style graphics that were on many companies' bikes.

YYZ
    mtbr member
    [IMG]Photobucket[/IMG]

Dakar XCT 2.0 09. I like har. hehe.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Finally finished building my new xct and figured I'd throw pics up. I haven't seen any pics of xct 4's in the wild. So far I love the bike, it's not ass efficient as my giant reign pedaling wise but I have no trouble topping any of my longer climbs that I did with my reign. And the weight is just insane. She sits at 21 lbs right now and I haven't even weenied it.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    21?!

Man, that's totally insane! I'm stoked for you.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    I'm going to have to ask for a complete build list to see how you accomplished it.

Last edited by chelboed; 08-20-2012 at 07:22 PM.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011

NOS 2010 Jamis Dakar XAM 2. Although she weighs in at a hefty 32 lbs. She performs flawlessly. The climbing is a bit slow but there was zero tail bobbing and the HammerSchmidt is in one word...Amazing! Lighting fast shifts. You can even shift while climbing without the horrible sounds that you have grown accustomed to hearing when shifting under pressure and the worry of throwing or breaking a chain is gone. The Fox Talas 36 sucks up ruts, rocks, jumps and whatever else you can throw at it and it just seems to absorb everything to provide you with a smooth descent. I am totally amazed at the build quality and how well Jamis did on this bike. It may not be a boutique bike name but the way I see it I have an awesome all mountain rig that is spec'ed out with top of the line components for less than a more recognized name with lesser components. Looking forward to getting her even dirtier than she already is.
    Last edited by rusty rhino; 08-21-2012 at 12:33 PM.

Page 36 of 45 FirstFirst ... 26 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 ... LastLast