mtbr member
    Dec 2006

She cracked!!!!!!!!

Yup my beloved 05 XLT cracked at the weld were the top tube and the seat tube meet. I was riding it on saturday after work and i ocasionally heard this creaking noise. When i got the bike's ready for our ride today i thought that maybe the suspension bolts were a tad loose. So i started to tighten them then i noticed the crack. I don't know if any one here has had this problem before? I also don't know what my local bike shop is going to tell me. Hopefully they wont tell me to pound sand cause i love this bike and would hate to have to find another bike.

I need a new name
    Jun 2004
    Jamis was easy to deal with getting my Dakar Sport frame replaced. If you still have your receipt it shouldn't be a problem.

One Gear
    Have the shop call Jamis. They have an awesome warranty policy. They took good care of me.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    seems to be the common break with that frame, just give'm a call.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    Since were talking about creaking on bikes, ive got an 06 Durango 1.0. Now when i ride there seems to be a creaking sound coming from where the seat tube meets the top tube, or the seat post. It really only sounds off when ive got my full body weight on the seat (180) lbs. is this something i need to watch for

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    try removing and cleaning your seatpost and torquing to correct spec's

One Gear
    Quote Originally Posted by chwesley
    Since were talking about creaking on bikes, ive got an 06 Durango 1.0. Now when i ride there seems to be a creaking sound coming from where the seat tube meets the top tube, or the seat post. It really only sounds off when ive got my full body weight on the seat (180) lbs. is this something i need to watch for
    Make sure that you're using a seat post that goes in below the intersection of the top tube an the seat tube. Regrease as noted above. Check the seat clamp as well. If it's not tight, it will creak too.

mtbr member
    Jun 2004

Best way

Hey Guys,

The best, fastest way to get a warranty through is to bring the frame to your local dealer and have them contact our warranty department and we will get it taken care of.

Regarding your "creaking" saddle and/or seat post. Try doing all of the above, greasing, checking for tightness and clean. But also make sure that the saddle is tight in the seat post.

But as with every bike you should go over and check the bike and parts every few weeks while cleaning.

Let me know if there is anything I can do.

Later
    Last edited by MTB Skippy; 09-06-2007 at 06:02 AM.
    ]
    Craig "Skippy" Hoyt

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Keep the bike clean too and keep a close eye even on scratches. Had a guy last week whose "scratch" was really a hairline crack. That discovery made me go over mine with a fine-tooth comb!

ps - Hi Craig! Really loving the new bike. You guys may get in on a new road bike after all someday soon!

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by diane
    Keep the bike clean too and keep a close eye even on scratches. Had a guy last week whose "scratch" was really a hairline crack. That discovery made me go over mine with a fine-tooth comb!

ps - Hi Craig! Really loving the new bike. You guys may get in on a new road bike after all someday soon!
    Weird, I can't edit.

Anyway, you may get ME on a new road bike........

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    Ya so far they have been a pleasure to deal with ,jamis that is. They send out a new frame to me on thursday so i should have it at the begining of next week. The real question is what are they going to send me???? i hope a XAM one can only wish. Oh and i forgot to post the pictures of the crack so here goes.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    keep us updated man!

One Gear
    Mine cracked in a similar manner, but all the way through. Jamis was SUPER cool about the whole thing. They sent the entire frame, minus the shock. I pulled the shock out of the old one, rebuilt it, and was on my way. If you don't have a 400+mm seat post, then you should get a new one before the frame arrives.

'aua e te fati
    Jul 2006
    As far as the creak goes, I would make sure that you can isolate exactly where it is coming from. I had a creak on the exact same bike that was getting pretty loud at weird times and I had a difficult time reproducting it.

I ended up taking the rear end apart, lubing everything up, and making sure that everything was torqued to the correct spec's in in.lbs. I did it on Friday, and now the creak is gone.

Also, I second .40AET on the seat post. Simple physics. I ride the 27.2x410mm Thomson and love it.

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    Ok my new frame showed up today,well it got there yesterday but i got it today. Not bad since its only been about a week since they saw the pictures of the old one. Know my question is what the hell year this new one is???? The guy at my LBS had no clue. Is it a 08 or a 07????? don't remember this bottom bracket setup on the 07. Unless i'm mistaken but you bee the judge.

Oh and you like that derailler hanger???? have fun trying to find one of those around. The last question is should i sell it. My buddy wanted to bye my old one before the crack, but this one i have no idea what i have. The only reason i want to sell it is i kind of want a bike with a little more travel.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Wow, man...I really like that rear tri compared to my '05. It looks beefier. Schweet!!!

Too bad they didn't slip you an XAM on accident, eh?

How much U wanna get for it?

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    Looks like an 06 model going by the paintjob.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Jamis was nice enough to send you a new frame at a ridiculously fast rate - don't be so quick to publicly want to sell it!!

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by cwheel
    Jamis was nice enough to send you a new frame at a ridiculously fast rate - don't be so quick to publicly want to sell it!!
    It is his bike.

And so what if Jamis sees that he wants to sell it. He might buy a longer travel Jamis.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    The winking smiley face at the end of my post meant I was saying this with a little bit of jest. I know it's his bike and he can do whatever the hell he wants with it. Still doesn't change the fact that a Jamis employee took enough interest to actually post in this thread and expedite his replacement, and to turn around and ask everyone "should I sell it?" just seems sort of disrespectful.

mtbr member
    did you get to keep the rear shock from the cracked frame?

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    Yes i did get to keep the rear shock from my old frame. As for selling it i just did'nt know what i had compared to my old frame. I have no intentions in selling it at all. So you guys think its a 06 or 07???? not that it matters just wondering.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Not that this is a guarantee, but this auction is for a 2006, and looks identical to yours. I like your paint scheme a lot.

EBAY LINK