mtbr member

Sell or Keep? If sell how much?

Well I just purchased a new 2006 Jamis Dakar Sport frame off the MTBR classifieds. This frame is an upgrade to my 1998 Jamis Dakar Expert. Overall I am spending $600 to upgrade the frame, wheels and brakes. Most of the other parts were upgraded last year.

Now I spent $80 on a few parts and I now have built my 1998 Jamis Dakar back to the point it was before I started all my upgrading. I would like to recoup some of the money I spent on the new ride, but it would be nice to have a backup XC bike for friends and such.

So the question is should I sell it or keep it, and if I sell it how much should I expect? I was thinking it should worth around $500, but who wants a 1998 frame thats not disc compatible.

Here is a rundown of the bikes spec:

Frame 1998 Jamis Dakar Expert 90mm Travel
    Fork 1997 Rock Shox Judy DH 80mm Travel (Repainted, New Springs)
    Shock 2003 Fox Vanilla
    Crank Shimano LX Square Taper
    Chain SRAM PC951 (New)
    Cassette Shimano LX (New)
    BB Truvativ Square Taper
    Wheels XT Rear/LX Front Mavic 517
    Seat WTB Speed V (New)
    Post Kalloy
    Stem Ritchey
    Bars Answer ProTaper
    Headset FSA Orbit Conix
    Tires IRC Mythos Slick
    Cables Avid Flak Jacket
    Grips Forte Lock-on
    Brakes Shimano XT V M760
    Shifters XT Dual Control M760
    Seat Clamp Jamis Clamp (New)
    Front Der Shimano LX
    Rear Der Shimano XT M760

Last edited by oldskoolbiker; 03-13-2007 at 08:24 PM.

"Ride Lots" Eddy Merckx
    I'd think you could get $500 for that if you find the right market/buyer. Plenty of people have no interest in disc brakes and that bike looks to be very well maintained. I'd consider local ads, craigslist, or even consignment at a local shop. I think an older bike like that may get buried in eBay.

Heck, I got $300 or so for my 1998 Gary Fisher Kaitai SS in much worse shape.
    "Big Gulps huh?...Allllriggghhht....Welp, See ya later!"

mtbr member
    Yes the bike is very well maintained. Heck there are only minor differences between the new 2006 Dakar Sport frame I got and this one. Major difference being disc brake mounts. I've posted it on the Local MTB forum and local craigslist. Last week I saw a 1999 Dakar Expert sell on ebay for $350, and that bike wasn't speced as well and was dog ugly, like with a big gel pad and bar ends sticking straight up. I don't want to deal with ebay though, I'll just keep it for sale locally. I might bring it to some local events and put a for sale sign on it.