mtbr member
    Sep 2004

seatpost size for '96 - '97 Jamis Dakar Team?

This is the Easton Elite tubing 1996 - '97 Dakar Team. I've been using a
    shimmed 26.8mm seatpost but want to get a correct size seatpost. I always
    thought it was 27.2mm but heard that it is actually 27mm. Can anybody with
    a '96 - '97 Dakar Team confirm this? Thanks much.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Yep, 27.0 it is...mine was still running up til a week ago....then I switched over all the parts to 29er and it might be awhile before she gets rebuilt.

For a ten year old frame, they sure do ride pretty, loved mine for a xc bike...little bob, good geo for climbing....and lighter than so many others...only after ten years I think mine was starting to decay...I'm seeing a bit of stress markers on the tt where the shock mount is welded on...though I could be wrong...it only appears in just the right light and could have been there for a long time...I figure once I rebuild I'll begin a mission of really abusing it until it breaks there or somewhere else and can then justify a new fs frame...but it might take awhile...considering the abuse it has already been through...

--2fat

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    Thanks. Yeah, the '97 Dakar Team is arguably the best xc frame Jamis ever made. Mine's all XTR with a Cane Creek AD-12 & a SID XC up front and is lighter than my hardtail, '01 Komodo. It's probably the only fs bike I'll ever own.