mtbr member

seat stay brace hits frame on Dakar XLT 2005

hey guys...
    I have one of those Dakar XLTs that got the seat stay brace placed incorrectly so that when the shock has almost fully compressed (well near 70%) the brace hits the back of the frame. I could take the brace off but would rather not sacrifice stability...
    Any one know how to limit the travel on this shock?
    I tried putting spacers under the rebound bumper (or what I think is the rebound bumper ) as described in a the directions for this process on a fox but it did not do a thing
    Any suggestions? A step by step would be appreciated. Pics also would be a life saver if you have done the same thing.

Thanks

mtbr member
    I had heard of this issue a while ago, the only solution I had heard was to file the brace a bit. Is it possible your shock is 2.25" of travel and not the stock 2.0", even if it came that way from Jamis? Can you confirm by letting the air out and compressing it with the oring on the shock? What size frame is it?

mtbr member
    I measured stroke length at 2, but eye to eye is shorter than should be spec'd at 7.5 instead of 7.875. Think that is enough to cause my issue? It clearly brings the seat tube closer to the brace.

mtbr member
    Yes, that would definitly be an issue. Good you found it out. Is your shock the stock one or aftermarket?

mtbr member
    Nope not the stock shock. Got the proper length shock on order. Hope that this will be the fix.

mtbr member
    Did not work. Still hits seat posts on full compression even with the correct shock size. Gonna just remove seat stay brace all together (bolts on). Can't be worse than crumpling the seat tube after repeated impacts. On a good note now have ample room to fit my 650b wheel set!

mtbr member
    Something Definitly sounds a miss, I'm not looking at mine right now, but is there a possibility the brace is upside down (don't know if there is an up or down)? Could you suspension bearings be worn allowing the triangle to twist and hit? I've only seen a few other complaints about this over the years, could just be an oddly built frame too I guess.
    If you search this forum for "seat stay brace", only a few select issues were reported. Also, my bikes are 19" frames, not sure if that make any bit of difference?

mtbr member
    Nope bearings tight, brace was in correct position, even had made a new brace, bringing it closer to the tire than the original and still it would hit. Thought about drilling the seat tubes and placing the brace on the bottom, but I can't help but wonder if that will really help structural integrity. I see the parker frames which are very similar to the XLT do not have the seat tube brace so it doesn't seem completely crazy to go without. I would wager I might loose some rear triangle stiffness. I also think it will prob affect the long term durability of the frame as well. Of course causing a dent in the seat tube would also cause the frame to fail prematurely so guess I am just picking my poison.

mtbr member
    I think your right, it's a pick your poisen. The Parker is suppose to be befed up quite a bit (someone else pointed that out to me when I compared them last year), but a dented seat tube will definitely be an issue in a relatively short time. They are older frames, I love mine, but hate the 27.2 seatpost. My dropper options are not as good as other frames, like my KHS XCT which has a 31.6.