mtbr member
    Jan 2007

Replacing rear spring

I've got a Jamis Dakar Sport with the steel coil over shock, and want to upgrade to something lighter. First thought was a titanium spring, but I'm not sure how to interpret the specs.

The spring is marked 400x1.78. 400 is the spring rate, what's the 1.78? Free length is 3 3/8", and travel is 1 1/4" (measured between the shcok body and the bumper).

Any suggestions?

thanks!
    dave

Former Bike Wrench
    the 1.78 is the stroke length of the coil before full compression. It's fairly normal to have a spring that is about .25" longer than the stroke. Your shock has a 1.5" stroke (the space the bumper takes up is part of the stroke). So you'll want a spring that is about 1.75" stroke length.

Now, let me ask you something....

The shock on your Dakar Sport is probably a Fox Vanilla with no adjustments. This is a sub $200 shock at best. Does throwing another $200 for a ti spring seem a little excessive?

For a little more you could get a Fox Float R brand new for $250 and it will be half the weight of your current shock. If you check the MTBR classifieds, you can probably find a lightly used one for less than $150. Seems like the better way to go to me.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Thanks for the help! You're right, my budget's more like $50. Saw a bunch of ti springs on ebay for that much too, though didn't know what to get. You've given me some good advice. I'll check the classified too.

cheers,
    dave

mtbr member
    Consider these blow out shocks from Santa Cruz.
    http://www.santacruzbicycles.com/cat...fb1ffcbc9d5b05