mtbr member
    Dec 2004

Replacement frame debate

So my 09 Dakota 29 frame cracked. I really dont want an Exile frame so I'm strongly considering upgrading to either a Dragon 29 pro or the Dakota D29 race. Just about nothing on the bike is stock so all the components are worthy of a nicer frame. There are pros and cons to both and I'm having trouble deciding. Anyone have any experience on the ride quality of the D29 race? I'd have to change a couple things out to make either frame work.
    Heres the pros and cons of each.

Dragon Pros
    Ride quality
    Durability
    lower bb height (nice for the sweeping trails around here)
    High quality steel frame-unique and rare thing of beauty
    Did I mention the silky smooth ride quality?

Cons
    heavier
    flexier-I'm a 6'2" 230lb clydes racer
    Have to get a new headset, seatpost, and shim for the front der to get it running

Dakota D29 Pros
    Lighter
    Stiffer
    Carbon stays?
    Slacker head tube-more stable

Cons
    Stiffer- harsher ride
    Carbon stays?
    Have to get adaptors for the BB30 bb and the headset, but everything else bolts on.

I do some racing, but wouldn't say I'm hardcore about it. I'd say most of my anxious about the drastic lack of feedback on the D29 race. I have no idea how it stacks up. If its simply my old Dakota frame with carbon stays and I'm paying $450 for the stays, I'll pass and get the high quality steel. But if the AL is an improvement to, I'm strongly considering it. I know the Dragon is a proven performer that will be super comfy to ride and last for years (good one to do a SS conversion on it later on), but the Dakota would be a better platform to race on, and who knows, the carbon stays combined with my carbon seatpost could really smooth things out. Input? Thoughts? Suggestions? I'm really torn on this. It costs the same for either, btw.
    Last edited by jcmtbfreak; 01-25-2012 at 02:15 PM.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    We're sorry to hear that the Dakota did not hold up. Were you able to get in touch with our warranty department?

We think you have a tough decision to make ahead of you. The Dragon is certainly a proven platform and a great performer. However, the D29 Race will make a great race bike if that's what you're after. The D29 Race frame kit will come with a headset and BB30 adapters so that you can retrofit most of your parts. We should also be including a headset reducer so that you can run your original fork.

I personally ride the Dragon 650B and I'm loving it (steel is real!). At the 2011 Dirt Demo we had retailers from across the country demo the 2012 D29 Race, receiving nothing but rave reviews.

We don't think you can go wrong either way!

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    Yea, I've been in touch with the warranty department. They were quick to respond too! Kudos! Its nice to hear that the D29 frame comes with all the adaptors needed. By the same token, if I went with the dragon would it come with a headset? On the website it shows it comes with a FSA orbit MX. Also, do both come with seatpost collars like shown in the pics? Or is that extra? I take it that would apply on a warranty upgrade as well same as the D29? You guys aren't making this any easier...haha. Any idea how much lighter the D29 frame is than my Dakota frame in a large?

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    We can't guarantee that the Dragon frame replacement would be a frame kit or just a warranty replacement (barebones). Collars will be included with the frame kit. The weight for the d29 race 17" frame alone is 3.7 lbs. We don't have the frame weights for the 09' Dakota 29er available but there should be some weight savings.

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    Awesome, thanks for the input! I've decided to go with the Dragon! I like being a little unique.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    It is the year of the Dragon! Thanks keeping it "real"...we'll see you on the trail!

What?
    Awesome to see a Jamis rep on here.