mtbr member
    Jul 2005

Raced my XLT in an XC race, hehe.

Well, I don't have any other bikes except for a rigid Raleigh Pointe beater commuter and we had our State Games XC race today so I raced it on my XLT. It hung in there pretty well against some freakishly light bikes. They really overdid it when they categorized the groups. I was the only one racing the 30-39 year old Sport category, so obviously I got gold, hehe.

They started all of the expert riders out first together, then sport, then beginners.

Against all of the other sport riders, I only got beat by 3. So...I guess if you take away the age brackets I would have gotten 4th place. I was beat by a skinny 20'something on a Trek 6500 1x9 hardtail, a 45 y.o. on a Trek Fuel, and a 45'ish y.o on a Fisher ExCal. I don't feel too bad about losing to the kid, but the 45 y.o. dudes kinda stung a bit.

It was really my fault...I let two guys pass me by in the beginning b/c I didn't want to come out of the gate too strong. Those same two guys slowed me waaaay down later on the technical descents. I normally do 30-35mph on them and I was forced to go around 10 mph or so. Finally I said "I gotta get around you, man" and they pulled off the singletrack to let me by. Last year I tried to pass on a sketchy section and plowed through somebody, so I wanted to play it safer this year.

Anyway, I probably would have been able to hold off 1 of the 45 y.o dudes if I had taken those downhill sections as fast as I normally do, but oh well. 'Twas still a fun day and nice to do so well on a 32lb all coil XLT against bikes like a 16.5lb Badger SS, Tomac Revolver, Stumpy FSR's, a bunch of other hardtail riders.

If I decide to do many more XC races though...I may have to pony up for a more efficient rig like the Dakar XC, XCR, or maybe a 29'er HT.

Props to the XLT though!

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    awesome results man!! so im right in assuming my dakar sport isnt designed to be much of an XC rig??

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Hehe, probably not. The XLT is DEFINATELY not intended as an XC rig, but it held its own fairly well.

The Dakar Pro or Expert I believe are the dedicated XC racer's of the stable. They have the carbon seat stays and bell crank to keep it laterally stiff while still dampening the shock a bit in addition to the rear suspension.

If I had a carbon model, I'd run that rear shock with like 10% sag so I could hammer the crap out of it on the climbs out of the saddle and still have a little control in the rough.

I'm hoping to build one at some point.