mtbr member
    Jul 2005

Proper sizing for taller riders...

One thing that gets me is why do frame MFGR's design frames where the head tubes are all the same length throughout the spectrum of sizes? A short person on a 15" frame may have a 110mm head tube, but a tall guy riding a 19" frame will still have a 110mm head tube. (or maybe 10-20mm longer)

Then you've got all of the current genre of riders that are medium to small sized guys driving the market of handlebar rise because it's "trendy" now to have low/no rise bars. You can't even get something like the Haven carbon bars in 2" rise.

A tall guy riding a frame with a seat tube that's 4-6" longer than a short guy needs to have a taller cockpit...taller head tube.

This is one reason I think I have kept my 2005 Komodo for so long. The head tube is 140mm. I don't need to run an inch and a half of stem spacers, LOL. I still run a 50mm rise bar and love it.

I just don't understand why they think tall riders have short torso's.

What gives?
    I get my boards at Lux-RC.com

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    it's the easy way out I suppose; cuts down on tube options when they build the frame. One of the reasons I got a Jamis Dragon was because it had a longer head tube. Look around, you can still find frame makers that do things right.