mtbr member
    Jun 2010

Price check on a 2007 Dakota Sport?

Hi all,
    First post here, great community you guys have here.

There is a 2007 Dakota Sport for sale locally, and the guy is asking $500. It looks to be in pretty good condition; does anyone have an opinion on if the asking price is fair? I'm new to mountain biking, so I'm still trying to get a feel for how much bikes are worth. Thanks for the help!

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    500$ seems a fair price for that bike, however if I were you I would save a couple hundred more and get a brand new 09 dakota sport. That bike will probobly need a few components replaced in the not so near future. These components will eventually cost you close to the price of the 09 dakota sport. Jensens USA has the 09 right now for 715$ and everything on the bike has a 2/3 year warranty and jensens is great about replacing defective parts for free. Also the 09 is a better bike due to upgrades made since the bike you are looking at was made. Every year bikes tend to get better components/frames etc... Good luck with your decision but if it were me I would buy that 09 and it is on closeout right now and 39% off MSRP a really good deal for sure,

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    well, i ended up buying it. jamis man, i totally agree with you. the deal on closeout 09 dakota sports is a hell of a deal, but a budget is a budget. it wasn't a matter of not having that extra $200 or so, but rather just how much i budgeted to spend. i've got a few other hobbies, and if i made the decision to spend 40% more on everything i bought, i would be in big trouble.

anyway, here it is. the trails are unfortunately closed today due to recent showers, but i look forward to taking it out soon.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    That is a nice bike you got there. Seems to be in really good condition. You probobly could not have gotten a better bike for 500$ so I would be happy. You are right about the importance of setting and maintaining a budget. This bike is a really good bike with a light solid frame and I'm sure it will be a good bike. I prefer to buy new for warranty purposes but thats just me. Still a very good bike for 500$.