Slow Goat....

Is it possible to make 3.5" travel to 4"?

Just curious... Has anyone done this? This is for a Jamis Dakar 2003 sport. I am wondering if changing out the swinglink can give you more travel. Maybe someone is making this link.
    Enjoy the lactic acid.....it's good for you

love my Simonds 519
    Mar 2007
    Jamis did exactly this by tweaking changing the position of bellcrank shock mount on the 2007 Dakar XC and XCRs. IIRC the 2003 has the upper bellcrank pivot above the top tube, which would mean the 2007 bellcranks aren't mountable on your frame since they lack a hole for the top tube to go through. While I'm not aware of anyone making parts, it'd be a simple job to machine a bellcrank with a different shock pivot location. However, my guess would be it's not worth bothering since you'd probably end up with the kiss. 2003s seem to be particularly prone to the problem; check your frame and see.

Doesntplaywellwithmorons!
    Smaller Jamis frames had the bell crank above the toptube but larger frames had it below. The reason had to do with keeping the leverage ratio the same for the different size frames required keeping the bell-crank pivots in the same spot. So on smaller frames the pivot was above the toptube to keep the standover clearance from being too high.
    I don't post to generate business for myself or make like I'm better than sliced bread

Slow Goat....

I just thought someone was making a modified bell crank.

I am looking to get a new frame soon, so i wanted to experiment to see if this was possible. Frame is too old to sell. I work with lots of machine shops so if i have an idea i wanted to try it. Modify the bell crank, get a longer e to e shock and cut out the brace in the seat stay so to avoid the "kiss". I'll put up some pics if i am able to do this. Then i'll have to ride it. Hopefully the rear end doesn't fall apart w/o the seat stay brace. I've seen many bikes with out this so maybe it will be ok.
    Enjoy the lactic acid.....it's good for you

'aua e te fati
    Jul 2006
    I think that you might be unpleasantly surprised at how much lateral play you will have in the corners if you take out the seat stay brace. It may not seem like much, but a little wiggle will feel unnerving. Were I you, I wouldn't do it unless you can get the machine work for free or very close to it, and you can either reverse your steps effectively, or become comfortable with buying a new frame.