mtbr member
    Jul 2010

Please Help: Immediate Dakar XC Comp vs. 29ers/650B Dilemma . . .

I am relatively new to mountain biking and would really appreciate hearing members thoughts!!

I went to a LBS recently looking for a full suspension bike. I am a little tall, about 6'3" and 215lbs and they did not have anything in any model above a 19" to try.

I learned that the largest bike frame Jamis makes is a 23" Dakar XC Comp. Heard good things about the bike and so ordered one (2010- $1395- full retail). It should be arriving tomorrow at LBS, but now I am having some second thoughts as I learn more about the larger tire 29ers and 650Bs. Will I regret the smaller 26" "tired" Dakar?

Knowing that mid-September will bring the new Jamis models . . . should I have waited? Do you think 29ers will be available in this price range for full suspension bikes (aprox. $1500). Currently I think there are only two 650Bs in the Jamis full suspension category (yes? . . . and the cheapest lists at $2875).

Also was wondering, could I easily swap the Dakar XC Comp's 26" tires for the 650B without any other modifications to forks/gears, etc? Is this something I might be able to negotiate with the dealer upfront to save money? (I am paying full retail, shop not willing to make any deals bkz bike was not on floor and had to order it . . . is this odd or is this common?).

I would really like to have something to ride for the next few months (last months of summer), but I am also wondering if buying now, so close to the new lineup is short-sighted.

With the bike theoretically arriving soon, time is critical.

Thank you very much, I really appreciate your help!!
    Last edited by Odyssey3; 07-29-2010 at 01:18 AM.

mtbr member
    I personally prefer a 29er. I had a Dakar XCR comp and it was a good bike, nice enough components and good functionality. If you want full suspension your not going to find a 29er in your price range however if a hardtail 29er would fit the bill I would try one before you plunk your money down on the Dakar. Either way though you should have a nice bike.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    If you are new to MTBing, the first thing is to get a bike and start riding. The Dakar is shorter travel bike and if you are riding cross country or trails this bike should be good for you. You hit on the key of the correct size frame and this is critical. I was somewhat in the same decision path - Hardtail 29r or Full Suspension 26r. I went with a 26r and it is a more comfortable ride and I do not feel "beat up" after a ride. It is a good bike for me to learn MTBiking. The Jamis 650 has received some good reviews in Mountain Flyer and Bike or Mt. Bike mags. MTB Action likes the 650 tire size very much and did a comparison of the different tire sizes a couple of issues ago. The issue with the 650 right now is limited number of tire / fork / rim - wheel options.