Rod
    Endorphin Junkie

Picked up my first Jamis

I picked up my first Jamis a few days ago. It's a used Dakota xc. I took it out for my first ride since I purchased it, I tested it over the summer, and it was great. I just wanted to introduce myself and say hello.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    I'm hoping to be in a similar situation next year as I'm currently looking for a Jamis frame for the next season. Great to hear that you're pleased with Jamis, that makes less in doubt before i go ahead and buy myself a frame. Keep us updated on how the bike performs, that makes great reading for a jamis novice like myself... Cheers

mtbr member
    Jun 2004

Great

Im glad to hear that you are diggin your new(used) Jamis! The Dakota XC is a fun bike for sure!

Welcome to the club Rod!

tnk666...you can always ask your local Jamis dealer if we have any left over frames in stock.....

Thanks
    $k!p
    ]
    Craig "Skippy" Hoyt

mtbr member
    Oct 2007

me too

i was also thinking about picking up a used 02 jamis dakar for next season, and have yet to make up my mind. i'm looking for a light full-suspension, and someone is selling a spare frame near me. i'd love to hear some input onto the dakar frame. the guy wants 180$ for the frame w/out fork, but it does have a fox rear shock. is it worth it?

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Skip
    tnk666...you can always ask your local Jamis dealer if we have any left over frames in stock.....

Thanks
    $k!p
    Not too many local dealers here in Norway, so I'll probably buy the frame off ebay or someone on mtbr.

Rod
    Endorphin Junkie
    @tnk and work you should both look at Jensonusa.com because they are having a big sale on Jamis bikes. On the left side there's a search by brand and select Jamis bicycles. They had 05 jamis dakar frames for about the same price, but I can't find them now. I hope the didn't sell out. They have a complete 05 dakar for 462 dollars. http://www.jensonusa.com/store/produ...r+Bike+05.aspx
    The 05 frame is 255 dollars, but they only have it in the XL http://www.jensonusa.com/store/produ...ort+Oe+05.aspx

Rod
    Endorphin Junkie
    @Skip I'm definitely enjoying my new bike. My homework is keeping me very busy, college senior, but I can't wait for Thanksgiving break Tuesday. My bike needs a little bit of work, fork rebuilt, but for the price I couldn't pass it up. I hit a hidden rock in the leaves yesterday and I thought I knocked my rim out of true. I took the tire off the rim and it was fine. It just shifted my tire with 40 psi in it. I'm glad it didn't come off the rim. Watch out for hidden rocks in the leaves!

'aua e te fati
    Jul 2006
    Work - for a 2002 - $180 is not worth it. See the other thread here for advice on frame purchasing.

Rod
    Endorphin Junkie
    I would try talking the guy down some. He probably wants to sell this frame that's taking up space and you need one so a deal should be easy to make.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Anyone have good things to say about the 05 FS Dakar:
    http://www.jensonusa.com/store/produ...r+Bike+05.aspx

I'm planning on buying one to replace my Boulder SE. Can I decently 'race' with this bike, (I'm saving money to get a race bike)

'aua e te fati
    Jul 2006
    There are plenty of good things to say about the Dakar, but the components on that model are pretty cheap.

Can you decently race? I suppose it's possible. Are you just getting into racing? There really isn't much race in this bike. The only way I would race it would be to use it for the frame only and get rid of everything else and replace it with lighter more efficient components. You will not find a sub $500 race bike that is full suspension, unless someone gives it to you for free.

Rod
    Endorphin Junkie
    He's just getting into racing. I've talked to him before on the forums and if you compare this to his boulder that he's currently racing there's no comparison. I believe as pieces wear out or if he just gets a little cash he can make it lighter. It's 32 pounds and his boulder is probably heavier than that.

'aua e te fati
    Jul 2006
    In my opinion, if he is just getting in to racing, and he is on a budget, he should really invest in a lighter, better frame like the XC expert or XC pro. Besides being a lighter, the adjustable on/off platform on the rear shock is a very nice feature because it improves pedaling efficiency so much.

What kind of components does he have on his boulder?

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Hmm interesting.. I'm just starting racing, people I know have recommended to go for the Dakar 05 as it would be a nice starting bike, in the way I see it it's like F1 cars, a rookie driver enters driving an uncompetitive car, then as he proves to be a worthy driver then he moves to a competitive car.

My Boulder SE crap specs:
    Frame: ALUXX butted aluminum
    Fork: Spinner Grind OS2 80mm Travel
    Shifters: Shimano EF-50
    FD: Shimano C101
    RD: Shimano Acera
    Brakes: Alloy Direct Pull Cantilever
    Brake Levers: Shimano EF-50
    Cassette: Shimano 14-34 Mega Range 7-Speed
    Chain: KMC Z51
    Cranks: SR Suntour GI100 28/38/48T
    BB: Cartdrige
    Rims: Alloy 36H
    Hubs: Alloy 36H
    Spokes: Stainless steel 14G
    Tires: MTB Trail 26x1.95"
    Handlebar: Alloy, 31.8
    Stem: Alloy 15 degree rise
    Seatpost: Alloy 30.9x350
    Saddle: Giant Grove Plus
    Pedals: Resin

From JensonUSA Dakar 05 Specs:
    The Jamis Dakar 05' is a strong and stable XC machine, the Dakar features the same frame design as the rest of the Dakar family.

* Dakar 4-bar linkage design with a 7005 aluminum frame with 90mm rear travel
    * Manitou Splice Comp 100mm travel fork
    * Fox Vanilla 90mm coil over rear shock
    * Shimano Deore 8 speed rear derailleur, Alivio front derailleur
    * Shimano Deore Rapidfire SL shifters
    * TruVativ ISIS Bottom Bracket with ISOFlow crankset
    * Tektro forged alloy direct pull brakes with Avid FR-5 levers
    * WTB Laser V Comp saddle
    * Hutchinson Scorpion Airlight tires
    * Formula disc hubs (in case you decide to upgrade in the future)
    * Wellgo Clipless pedals
    * Weight(Claimed): 32 lbs.

So, considering I'm on a budget (and also considering buying a road bike with 105 components, I think my decision on getting the Dakar 05 could be correct)

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    I loved my 05' Dakar.It was agreat "starter bike" so to speak.It was my first f/s and i loved learning & building my skills up on it.However i out grew it rather quick and recently just sold it and picked up an 08' XAM 1.If you can find an 05 for a good price i'd say go for.