mtbr member
    Jul 2005

Perfect suspension setup (XLT)

I think I'm finally there. I have been messing around with preload and rebound damping for a while now and have dialed in on a sweet spot.

I'm running Fox Van R shock and Vanilla R fork that has been PUSH'd. I run the fork about 4 clicks in from full out on rebound. The shock is one click in from full out. I had been running a little more than that and it seemed to simulate a harsher ride. Now it seems to track the ground perfectly.

I really don't even feel the small bumps and it sucks up the larger G-out's like a champion. I really don't think it could get much better even if I did have RLC and DHX options. The "R" setup has proven itself worthy. The only thing that the RLC would do is give me a little "platform" with the low speed compression. I'd personally rather see the RLC have a high speed compression instead.

I also dropped my tire pressure from 45psi to 40psi which smoothed out the trail even more and increased traction quite a bit. I'm running 2.35" Nevegal DTC's so I'm not terribly concerned with pinch flats at that pressure. If I were running a 2.1" I'd probably stick with 45psi.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    sweet. I think i almost have my XC pro dialed.. the fork could use a little more compression but it will do.. i am also using 2.3 nevegals, Stick-e front, DTC rear. i have been experimenting around with psi and am going to try 50 rear and 45- 47 front for XC riding... i think this should cut rolling resistance down and hopefully the tires still grab. with me at 200 pounds i should still get some traction...