17. You may not vote on this poll
  • Paker

8 47.06%
  • Xam

9 52.94%
    mtbr member
    Apr 2010

Parker or a Xam?

I've been researching buying a bike for a couple of weeks and I'm torn between a 2009 Parker and the 2008 Xam 1.0 on the Jenson website.

I have little experience with bikes I had a GT full suspension bike back in the late 90s but things have come a long way since then. I currently have a Giant Talon1 29er.

I'm done with the hard tail. I want to be able to be more aggressive on the down but there are not a lot of ski lifts in Arizona, so the all mountain bike seems like a good option.

Here's my question: I am not all that interested in dirt jumping or racing or free-ride or anything like that, just enjoying the downhill as much as possible. the Parker has 4" of travel in the rear, the Xam 6". Will I even notice the difference and is that difference worth $150? My sense is that more is not necessarily better here but I'm clueless as to how it works.

Another thing I wonder about: is the Parker going to be significantly more of a beatch to peddle up hill?

I know this is a noob question, thanks to anyone who takes the time to answer it.

slap happy
    i have a parker 1, and for the $1199 it's a great bike with decent components, but a bit on the heavy side. i haven't really ridden it yet (due to the weather) so i can't comment on handling.

the xam has better components on it, and i think is a bit lighter iirc. if you can afford the extra money, go with the xam imo.
    will you feel the difference in travel? unless you really bash on some gnarly turf, i doubt you'll even notice the difference.

fwiw, the parker is built like a friggin tank though.
    Consequences dictate our course of action and it doesn't matter what's right. It's only wrong if you get caught.

mtbr member
    where in az? im in tucson and have a xam and its a great bike for around here. little heavy for xc but works. not the best climber but its not bad either. will hang with any AM bike on the downs. handles like a racecar and has no problems on the steeps and drops. really is an ALL MOUNTAIN bike. you would have a hard time finding a better all around bike, and nothing in that price range will touch it. had it at sunrise, somo shuttles, and all the fun tucson stuff. i would like a parker to play with, but if its going to be your only squish bike, take the xam.

usually cranky
    xam easy. parker is nice but is really more of a play bike.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005

XAM v. Parker

Rallynut,
    Rob here from Jamis. I have a bunch of time on a Parker and XAM and sounds to me the XAM will fit your needs better. I've ridden XAM as my all purpose, xc/trail/park bike. Very versatile no matter which year you go with.

Blunt Blazer
    Oct 2010
    the XAM 09s are better then the 08s.. i got a 09 and love it

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    I rode an 09 at the LBS and loved it. It's twice the price as the 08 and just can't justify it. I'll probably have to get one of those slotted seats for women to clear all the pennies I'm pinching down there. ;-)

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    I'm from Prescott. We have the best riding in the state! thanks for the input! I think I'm going to order a Xam tomorrow!

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    FedEx delivered my Xam Friday and I put it together on Saturday. Today was the first ride and I LOVE it! It's confidence inspiring so much that I hucked a 4ft set of stairs in the parking lot like it was nothing. Also, I got a few "nice bike" comments. Very happy with it. thanks again for all of the input!

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by rvanderveur
    Rallynut,
    Rob here from Jamis. I have a bunch of time on a Parker and XAM and sounds to me the XAM will fit your needs better. I've ridden XAM as my all purpose, xc/trail/park bike. Very versatile no matter which year you go with.

Do you have assembled weights of the 2 bikes as offered on Jensen?
    The $1,100 Parker and the $1,299 Xam.

I'm looking into both of these now and need something light and fast but can handle some minor drops (2-5 feet) and has serious brakes since I am really into coaster wheelies and need a brake that can really save my ass.

Thanks

usually cranky
    both stated weights on the jenson site are pretty accurate.

slap happy
    the xam is 1lb lighter then the parker.
    looking back on it, i wish i'd gotten the xam instead for only $100 more.
    Consequences dictate our course of action and it doesn't matter what's right. It's only wrong if you get caught.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Standupnfall
    but can handle some minor drops (2-5 feet)

Thanks
    when the heck did 5' become a minor drop for a 6" AM bike? i must be getting old i save those for my big boy bikes.

usually cranky
    ^thats what i was thinking. even a 2 foot drop isnt so minor to me.

mtbr member
    unless we are talking about pinkbike drops (measured from chest height to half way down the tranny)

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    2 foot drop is pretty minor I thought
    I just put up to 5 feet (which I agree is a good sized drop) because I am looking for a bike that can handle some jumping and such if needed.
    Also most of my drops are rolling a bit.

Are these bikes not suited for this? Im only 160lbs soaking wet so I dont usually cause much trouble to the bike other than needing a strong set of wheels after the stockers get beat.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    I've got to say, I was real impressed with how well the xam jumped those stairs yesterday. I don't think I'll makes a habit of it, but to know that I can roll off of things and not even feel it is a good feeling.

I did another ride today that consisted of several miles of moderate grade down hill scattered with a bunch of bermed water bars (jumps). I have ridden this trail with a Giant Talon 29er many times and landing the jumps was a bit painful. Not was the xam. I scared myself a few times with how quick I was moving and how well the bike handled the turns and air time.

mtbr member
    Are these bikes not suited for this
    i was just being a smartass. the bike is really nice. i bought it because i wanted one do-all bike that leaned tword DH and thats what it is. wouldnt go huge on it, but it eats all normal obstacles. i have some other nice rigs now and i still ride the xam most days.

edit for clarity
    snapped this pic today of a play spot at the bottom of one of our fun trails. if im on the xam ill hit the R side of this all day. no issues. nice and smooth. im a little hesitant to come off that L corner on the 6" bike though since the landing is pretty flat. in my opinion if you are hitting alot of stuff like that you need a bigger bike. i have a 7" bike that i consider my heavy-duty AM/FR bike, and a DH sled. if you ride fast and rocky/rugged, with uphill sections, and drops like the one on the R side of the pic...xam is awesome.

Last edited by blue109; 03-08-2011 at 06:01 PM.