mtbr member
    Mar 2007

opinions on '05 Dakar Comp XC

So new to riding, thought a full suspension was out of my price range so have been looking at HTs exclusively.

Was deciding between a new '06 Jamis Exile w/ R7 fork ($1500 NZ) and '06 Keewee Kuga ($1200 NZ) (Help! I can't decide... when along came a used '05 Dakar Comp XC at $1200 NZ.

So, wondering if what people thing about the Dakar vs the Exile, clearly diff bikes. I'm going to be doing mostly XC riding, hoping to eventually race and this threw a wrench in the whole decision.

Any happy owners out there want to chime in?
    -----------
    Edit: PS, does anyone know if the geometry of Dakar's has changed significantly between '05 and '07? I can ride a '07 Dakar locally ...
    Also, the bike I'm looking at: http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/List...x?id=101036748
    Last edited by owleabf; 05-21-2007 at 11:13 PM.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    I would check if Adventure Brands (importer for NZ and Aus) have any old stock left over, I think you could get a new old stock 05 or 06 for a little bit more than what he is asking. It depend of course on the close out deals that are being done on them. I got a customer an 05 XC comp in December and got it to him for $1500AU.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by jaseh
    I would check if Adventure Brands (importer for NZ and Aus) have any old stock left over, I think you could get a new old stock 05 or 06 for a little bit more than what he is asking. It depend of course on the close out deals that are being done on them. I got a customer an 05 XC comp in December and got it to him for $1500AU.
    Cool, I'll check them out. Anyone out there know if the '05 Dakar XC Comp equates more to the '07 XC or the '07 XCR Comp? It looks like the geometry is the same as the XC, but the components don't match up... here's what he sent me:
    ---
    front derailler is gen x, shifters are xt seatpost and stem are titec el norte, front rim is xm 321 rear rim is 117 both mavic ,seat is wtb pure v, avid 5 juicy brakes, truvative fire x cranks, token chainrings, abr flat handlebar, wtb headset, mofo xc racing tyres front and rear specific, fsa bottom bracket, xt rear derailler
    --