dude

New (To me) Komodo! What kind of maintainence?

Hi everyone,

So I decided that my DS bike was getting to be a bit much to pedal uphill for me, so I went looking for a beefy hardtail to bang around and I ran into the Jamis Komodo. Found a great deal and got a 2005 FX shipped to me for $520.

It was previously owned by a gal who never rode it on a trail; mostly around campus and the sorts.

I was wondering what kind of maintenance needs to be done on it? Mostly in reference to the fork, a Manitou Stance Flow 150mm. The rapid-wind-down doesn't seem to do much... does the oil need to be changed up? Do the brakes need to be bled? The front caliper seems nice and I managed to get the calipers lined up and spinning without rubbing, but the rear caliper seems to want to close up even when I'm not hitting the brake lever. Really nice stoppers, the Hayes 9's with 7" rotors.

Shifting seems fine too, although I had to tweak them just a tad.

Anything else I might be missing? Can't wait to get this sucker on some dirt!

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Hey Man....congrats on the purchase. I have a 2006 Komodo 3.0 and I'm still in the process of building it up. It's a pretty solid bike.

Just my .02 cents....you may want to consider bringing it to your local bike shop. Tell them that you want a complete "tune-up"...should be $30 or $35. A lot of people can do the work themselves (and I envy you guys), but for $30 a pro will take a look and tweak as necessary.

Check that all bolts are tight...headset, cranks, etc...

Good luck with it! Throw some pics up!

mtbr member
    Oct 2007

Please Help. I have a Jamis Komodo FX 2.0

Hi. Nice bike. I bought one today myself. It has a couple of "problems" Can you guys PLEASE help me out?? Ok. Its all about the brakes. It has Hayes HFX-9 hydraulic brakes on it. The disks keep rubbing to the brake pads. I tried doing some minor adjustments. I loosened it and tried adjusting it. It was PERFECTLY in the middle (screws weren't tightened but it was in the middle. When i brakes without tightening the screws, it was making a clicky sound) when it wasnt moving. Then when i rode it and all i hear is TSHHH TSHH.............TSH...TSH TSH TSH....TSH The disk was rubbing against the pads. If you tigten the scrws fully, then one side rubs on the disk. But i checked the disks. They werent perfect. But they werent really warped Just very very little. I lifted the bike up and tried to spin the wheels. They were stiff. Like I spun it as hard as I could and it turned for 0.5 sec. So the brakes are clamping the disk. I have the same problem on my Brodie Hellion. CAN SOMEONE PLEASE HELP ME? PLZ GUYS?? THANKS SO MUCH. Here are the links to my bike pics. Check em out

http://s236.photobucket.com/albums/f...t=SP_A0068.jpg
    http://s236.photobucket.com/albums/f...t=SP_A0067.jpg
    http://s236.photobucket.com/albums/f...t=SP_A0077.jpg
    Last edited by FullyHydraulic06; 10-11-2007 at 08:54 PM.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by FullyHydraulic06
    Hi. Nice bike. I bought one today myself. It has a couple of "problems" Can you guys PLEASE help me out?? Ok. Its all about the brakes. It has Hayes HFX-9 hydraulic brakes on it. The disks keep rubbing to the brake pads. I tried doing some minor adjustments. I loosened it and tried adjusting it. It was PERFECTLY in the middle (screws weren't tightened but it was in the middle. When i brakes without tightening the screws, it was making a clicky sound) when it wasnt moving. Then when i rode it and all i hear is TSHHH TSHH.............TSH...TSH TSH TSH....TSH The disk was rubbing against the pads. If you tigten the scrws fully, then one side rubs on the disk. But i checked the disks. They werent perfect. But they werent really warped Just very very little. I lifted the bike up and tried to spin the wheels. They were stiff. Like I spun it as hard as I could and it turned for 0.5 sec. So the brakes are clamping the disk. I have the same problem on my Brodie Hellion. CAN SOMEONE PLEASE HELP ME? PLZ GUYS?? THANKS SO MUCH. Here are the links to my bike pics. Check em out

http://s236.photobucket.com/albums/f...t=SP_A0068.jpg
    http://s236.photobucket.com/albums/f...t=SP_A0067.jpg
    http://s236.photobucket.com/albums/f...t=SP_A0077.jpg

There is a deaf man in my neighborhood who rides a bike all the time. He came to me with a similar question and I told him how to fix his bike. He just looked at me and said; "what?"

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Im not deaf..

dude
    Right. None of that makes any sense to me. Thanks for hijacking the thread. This is why my post-count is so low.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    sorry. i didnt mean to hijack it. Im having constant rub on the disks. I dont know how to fix it. Can you help me? There, thats better.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    so can you?

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    so can you? please

mtbr member
    Jul 2006

I can help you...

Quote Originally Posted by FullyHydraulic06
    sorry. i didnt mean to hijack it. Im having constant rub on the disks. I dont know how to fix it. Can you help me? There, thats better.

I think I know how to help you in 3 simple steps....

1. Go to Amazon.com and type in Webster's Dictionary. Pay the associated fees, and within a week or so, a new Standard English American Dictionary will arrive at your doorstep. Go to the section titled "D" and learn to how spell DISC.

2. Go to one of several hundred threads on this website which talk about your specific problem. These threads can be found under the forum entitled "Brake Time." Generally speaking, when you have a question(s) about brake rub, asking about it in the Jamis Forum, under a thread called "New (To me) Komodo! What kind of maintainence?" is not going to help you, and in fact, will probably get you sarcastic answers like this.

3. Print this thread. Bring your bike and a copy of this thread to your local bike shop. Describe the problem to the bike mechanic and ask him/her to fix it. For $10 or so, you should have your problem solved, after they stop laughing at you.

Now go away.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Ok dude. Whatever then. Your no help. But thanks